Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Spark plugs, who's work best, and how about Platinum or Iridium plugs?

5647 2
It's time for plugs, and I've heard some odd stories about using platinum plugs in Mercedes engines.
So if platinum is really a bust how good is Iridium?

Who's using what in their cars, and how are they performing?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
Bosch coppers have worked fine for me, so I never felt the need to change. They're cheap,...

Bosch coppers have worked fine for me, so I never felt the need to change. They're cheap, easy to gap. My understanding is that the platinum plugs work fine in our cars, but the main selling point on them is that they can stay in longer, which may not be a good thing on older engines with alloy heads. I've heard that the 4 prong'd plugs are a pain to set the gap.

· Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke on the phone with an NGK rep. His comments were.....

He used GM as a reference, so take that for what it's worth.
If the "normal" lifespan of standard plugs is between 10K and 30K miles, Platinum plugs can run up to ~ 100K miles, and Iridium plugs will go up to ~ 180K miles. There is no apparent down side to either of these plugs other then cost, and a few benefits including slightly better gas mileage.
If we can run almost 200K miles on a set of plugs, few Mercedes cars will ever need more then 4 sets between overhauls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.