Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'89 E300, '06 B200, '15 VW Tiguan
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now past 200k km with the original plugs.... the milage is still great and hasn't changed one bit (according to the car's computer) in the last 175k km when I bought the car. What to do, what to do ... change them just for the hell of it? I'm guessing when and if the plugs go, they will do so very noticeably :D the local mechanic says he's at over 300k km

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Cool, the car will flash a code when one electrode falls into the cylinder and scores the walls. Just kidding.

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,842 Posts
I'd just be worried the threads on the head will come out with the plugs...well not that bad, but I hope the factory applied enough (if any) anti-seize.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,510 Posts
.... but I hope the factory applied enough (if any) anti-seize.
There wasn't any factory anti-seize on my plugs and there was some carbon on those threads when I first removed them. They were tight.

Stefan's plugs were in very bad shape when his originals were removed.

guenter has already removed his plugs once,.. so I'm sure that his plug threads were cleaned at that time. I will be changing my plugs "as to the maintenance schedule" seeing as the OE non-Turbo plugs are not of any "long life" quality and it's not that tricky once you've done it. (See spark plug sticky)

Changing the plugs on the B Turbo is more complicated though because everything must be done from underneath.......

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
:1poke::1poke::1poke::1poke:
There wasn't any factory anti-seize on my plugs and there was some carbon on those threads when I first removed them. They were tight.
Stefan's plugs were in very bad shape when his originals were removed.

guenter has already removed his plugs once,.. so I'm sure that his plug threads were cleaned at that time. I will be changing my plugs "as to the maintenance schedule" seeing as the OE non-Turbo plugs are not of any "long life" quality and it's not that tricky once you've done it. (See spark plug sticky)

Changing the plugs on the B Turbo is more complicated though because everything must be done from underneath.......
but Derek, that's the point, I've got a non-turbo, the plugs work perfectly and therefore should not need changing. Surely 200k and working like new suggests they are long life plugs ....you guys are Lemmings :p and slaves to the MB commandments. :bowdown: :D

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
As a matter of fact I am shopping around for some new ones as we speak... most likely the third set on this car so far....

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,842 Posts
Quenter - completely understand what you're saying...but remember the changes may be very gradual and we know the computer adjusts short and long term fuel trims, so you may be getting fuel economy, but not maximum power.

Basically, as the gap between the electrode and ground wears away, it may not ignite the mixture as well, producing slightly rich readings at the O2 sensor, so the computer cuts back a little bit of fuel.

I'd at least take out one of the plugs just to double check condition. Just IMHO.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quenter - completely understand what you're saying...but remember the changes may be very gradual and we know the computer adjusts short and long term fuel trims, so you may be getting fuel economy, but not maximum power.

Basically, as the gap between the electrode and ground wears away, it may not ignite the mixture as well, producing slightly rich readings at the O2 sensor, so the computer cuts back a little bit of fuel.

I'd at least take out one of the plugs just to double check condition. Just IMHO.
For sure, I've done that a few times and most recently about 20k km ago. I then also clean and regap the electrodes of course. Although fuel economy is demonstrably identical over the 200k km, power seems to be as well although, of course, I can't be absolutely certain... I was suprised at how well the hot electrode resists erosion. I'll check the plugs again this weekend and see what they look like.

IMHO do not willy nilly change plugs at 80k km or whatever unless you have reason to do so. I payed about $75 CDN for four which probably should give some pause for most of us

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,510 Posts
But you have to remember the pics that Stefan included here...he changed his just in time. He got lucky as one was almost completely shorted out and the others were well on there way.

I ordered my new plugs from a UK site at no where near our local stealer prices. They pop them in the mail...and Bob's your uncle....:thumbsup:

Many here would find changing there own plugs very challenging and the carbon buildup can also be a serious thread problem if you wait too long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts