Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing spark plug wires on my 1984 380SL. Anyone have recommendations? I had the Karlyn wires, but found them to be just "ok".

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Replacing spark plug wires on my 1984 380SL. Anyone have recommendations? I had the Karlyn wires, but found them to be just "ok".
How do you judge if wires are exceptional,"just OK" or no good at all?

I replaced the wires on my 72 many years ago with the low cost Bosch wires. Have had no problems. Originals on my car were, it seems, made by Beru. That company changed hands a few times and wires were not available. I now see them available. About $132 at FCP . No idea if they are as good as the originals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I replaced the wires on my 72 many years ago with the low cost Bosch wires. Have had no problems. Originals on my car were, it seems, made by Beru. That company changed hands a few times and wires were not available. I now see them available. About $132 at FCP . No idea if they are as good as the originals.
Fair question. I noticed with the Karlyn wires that the areas on the connectors to the rotor and at the spark plug where you would pull to remove them, the rubber was too flexible and I always felt like I was going to tear the connector apart before the connector would disconnect. They feel flimsy, not sturdy if that makes sense. Though the wires are fairly new (less then a year old) the #7 wire at the spark plug end had a wire protruding through the rubber. As a result, the #7 cylinder would not fire. I have been doing a lot of work on the engine, so I am sure that I was responsible for the damage during removal of the wire, but I would expect the wires to be built to withstand more force than what I put on them during the removal. So, yes, the wires worked, but the durability was questionable. I can add a photo, if anyone is interested.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,104 Posts
Good question.

Fitment, longevity and price would be my criteria.
For my car Berus were stupid expensive only from Germany, I wasn't impressed with the Bosch wires that were on the car when I bought it and the Kingsborne ticked all the correct boxes.
I do have a set of custom made Beru wires that ClarkZ made for me a few years back.....but they are stored in a cool dark place for now.
They are too nice to use.....I'll keep them for the Apocalypse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts