Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are specs to what a new pair of spark plug wires ohms reading should be?
If i have to pay nearly $300 for spark plug wires, i sure am gonna make sure they are not the least bit defective!
Thanks

·
Purple Moderator
21,701 Posts
Does anyone know if there are specs to what a new pair of spark plug wires ohms reading should be?
If i have to pay nearly $300 for spark plug wires, i sure am gonna make sure they are not the least bit defective!
Thanks
Awhile back somebody posted the 2.2k ohms is well within spec. Your mileage may vary from wire to wire on 10+ year old vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the specs. I would like to make some new wires actually, and forget about $250 set of wires.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you look at the metal part of the coil wire it has a wealth of info on it.Such as part number and resistance which should be about 2K ohms.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
It might be better Cowboy to back up a bit and share what symptoms that you are encountering that would lead you to think you need to replace your spark plug set.

I get the feeling you might be psyching yourself into buying into old school thinking and applying old school to a handbuilt German performance V8.

Proper OE pugs on the ML go out to 100K (OE plugs are the best runners for your ML), and usually spark plug wire or coil failure would come one plug or one cylinder at a time.
Normally, spark plug wire sets commonly I have seen go out past 200K miles.

Also, just do you know, the Larilyn wire set is perfectly acceptable if you need to do the job, and that set is like $170 at autohausaz.com , Beru can be had in the $230 range on eBay.

You have OE fresh plugs in there now, right ?

·
Purple Moderator
21,701 Posts
I agree, and used Berus when I changed mine. I had them so I used them.

All of the old ones were still in spec, but I did not not know if they would go another 110k miles.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'll second that. I had my ignition checked and the result was one bad coil and wire on the same coil. The rest of the wires and coils were fine.

DelJ

...usually spark plug wire or coil failure would come one plug or one cylinder at a time.
Normally, spark plug wire sets commonly I have seen go out past 200K miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts