Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the MB CD manual in vain. Can someone tell me the recommended gap for a '86 560? Thx.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
193 Posts
According to Bosch USA the gap for standard plugs and the super replacement is .032"

"W9DC0 OEPLUG GAP=0.032"; When stock is depleted, please order the recommended Super Spark Plug."

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
dugald said:
I have searched the MB CD manual in vain. Can someone tell me the recommended gap for a '86 560? Thx.
You could always search the large label on the radiator panel. That search won't be in vain.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flyboyike said:
You could always search the large label on the radiator panel. That search won't be in vain.
Thanks Ike. I just had a look underhood. The rad support has 3 labels pertaining to emissions control and freon, and a metal vehicle ID tag. The rad itself, which is a Behr replacement, has a couple stickers about itself. Nowhere do I see anything about plug gap....

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,684 Posts
dugald said:
Thanks Ike. I just had a look underhood. The rad support has 3 labels pertaining to emissions control and freon, and a metal vehicle ID tag. The rad itself, which is a Behr replacement, has a couple stickers about itself. Nowhere do I see anything about plug gap....
The last time I bought Bosch plugs, the gap was printed on the box it came in.
.032 or .8 mm

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
dugald said:
Is the gap preset?
I was told that if the packaging wasn't damaged the gap was proper. Any other comments.
Good question dugald.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,684 Posts
BenzToy said:
Is the gap preset?
I was told that if the packaging wasn't damaged the gap was proper. Any other comments.
Good question dugald.
Yes it is preset but I personally always double check.
I also seem to remember seeing it in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Spark plugs are pre-gapped at manufacturing but can be off from transit. Always check the gap prior to installation.

If you want to feel a smoother motor, gap the plugs to .042, this gives the car smoother response.

Regards,

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a set of Bosch Superplus plugs today at AutoZone for $1.99 per. (If you are feeling rich, you can buy plugs at $9.99 per, which I think is a bit much for a consumable item....)
Their database confirmed the recommended gap as .032". The counterman cautioned me not to trust that they were gapped properly ex-factory.
As it happens, they all came out of the box at .030. I gapped them at .035 as a timid compromise between the recommended .032 and the said-to-run-smoother .042.
I haven't installed them yet.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
dugald said:
You mean the emissions label doesn't go into the whole engine family 117 yada-yada, catalyst yada-yada, spark plug gap yada-yada?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flyboyike said:
You mean the emissions label doesn't go into the whole engine family 117 yada-yada, catalyst yada-yada, spark plug gap yada-yada?

Nope, no mention of plug gap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts