Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some photos and observations I ran into when doing maintenance on my wife's car:
2000 W220 S430 70,000 miles

These are things to do next time, lessons learned:
Rear differential fluid change.

1. Raised driver side enough to remove tire and jack car up.
2. 14MM large allen wrench.
3. remove filling end (driver side) THEN the drain plug. 1.5qts +/-.
4. Have a few feet of plastic tubing so you can fill easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Coolant, power steering fluid and sparks

The books states there are 12 qts of coolant. I was unable to locate the engine block plug; so with only draining the radiatior I was able to get 10qts out. The coolant was green, which I understand is NOT MB approved, the previous shop/owner put in the incorrect fluid. In the future I will only drain from radiator unless someone can advise where the block plug is located.

1. Raise front of car and remove underside panels. I tried to do it the fast way and removing the panels is a must.
2. Loosen red knob. Easy.

Power steering fluid.

1. I could only get 1/2 a qt out via my Might Vac. Book states there is over 1 qt.

Spark Plugs. I tried to do these quickly and learned this is not like changing the plugs on my '64.5 Mustang. Here are the steps I recommed:
1. Remove the coil packs and let hang.
2. Pull plug wires from sparks.
3. Install is reverse.
In fact I could have/should have waited, because the plugs looked very good at 70k

I hope this can help someone........

Attachments

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
+1 on sharing tips and photos!

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
There are 2 drains at the crankcase, right and left side. Looks like a round screw with a female hex in the middle.
The one on the right side is above the starter, it is recommded that the battery negative terminal to be disconnected while draining.

Coolant replacement is recommeded every 250k km or 15 years. I am planning of doing mine soon.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
you can get more fluid out of the powersteering if you disconnect the return line to the reservoir and turn the car on for a very short amount of time (your catch container will fill up fast)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts