Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So i recently changed my spark plugs and got some ngk spark plug wires since it seemed to be an issue i was having.

The car idles rough at times and the rpms drop for a split second while stopped and car feels like its gonna die. It does it numerous times while say im stopped at a traffic light.

I changed my spark plug wires because I kept seeing a spark hitting the head when i looked under the hood at night. I thought it could be the wires so i changed them and problem presists. Im pretty sure the drop in rpms happens everytime a spark happens.

Can anyone give me ideas on to whats causing this problem. Its happening in the cylinder closest to me when looking at the head from the front. And it only does it in that plug.

thanks !

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
i highly suggest you start searching the forums here and reading other posts.. you are not the first to have a issue like this and most if not all previous issues have been fixed by the owners...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried looking for a post for someone having same issue as me but couldn't find anything. Maybe I just suck at searching?

I found people having the spark issue, they get new wires and problem solved. With me i have gotten new wires/plugs and problem hasn't gone away.

Care to point me in the right direction?

TIA.

·
Registered
86' 190E 2.3L
378 Posts
I've tried looking for a post for someone having same issue as me but couldn't find anything. Maybe I just suck at searching?

I found people having the spark issue, they get new wires and problem solved. With me i have gotten new wires/plugs and problem hasn't gone away.

Care to point me in the right direction?

TIA.
There is probably a tear on the rubber boot of the spark plug connector, tape it electrical tape...it works!

I taped mine, till I could get a replacement....never got around to it, it's been over two years now....I completely forgotten about, it's been working just fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just picked up brand new ngk plug wires so im sure that wouldn't be the issue.

I also went over them again (just for assurance ) and didn't find any wear or tear ...well they are new like 3 days old.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
i just picked up brand new ngk plug wires so im sure that wouldn't be the issue.

I also went over them again (just for assurance ) and didn't find any wear or tear ...well they are new like 3 days old.
if you can see the spark coming from the wire, then it is leaking

or you didn't put enough pressure on the cable to make it snap onto the spark plug

in either case, if you can see it there, then you KNOW its leaking somehow.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
I wouldn't recommend anything but Bosch leads along with the rotor and cap, I have never had a problem with mine, and they are OEM as well.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
I wouldn't recommend anything but Bosch leads along with the rotor and cap, I have never had a problem with mine, and they are OEM as well.
i beg to differ

bosch is crap nowadays.. it is not the same high quality bosch that was once in the 90's

most of it is mexican made

Although i still buy the rotor and cap from bosch but mainly because there is not many other manufacturers that make it...

especially the wires, they tend to leak near the metalic part of the boot. The metal part of the boot is the resistor and it has been found that even with BRAND NEW Bosch wires, some of them have a messed up resistance that is too high

i am running some MAGNECORE wires that are 8.5MM thick.. they can be had for less money ( i think i paid $120 ) than bosch wires and are better performing and higher quality. These wires don't have a metalic boot, but the resistance is actually in the wire itself

i also run NGK BP5EFS spark plugs, not bosch either lol.. and i did have ALL bosch before

1 - 8 of 8 Posts