Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a car noob, but father-in-law has worked with cars a lot over the years. I just bought a new battery for my wife's SLK230 ('98) and when he was attaching one of the cables to the terminal he was unsure why it would spark as much as it did. He said that usually means something is drawing a charge like a light on or something. The only light that I can see is on is the blinking radio theft light thing - but he said that shouldn't draw that much.

Is it normal for that spark to occur? Is it something I should be concerned with.

My wife had left the interior light on over night twice recently (car was dead each time in the morning from that) and when I had gotten the battery tested they said it was weak even after it was charged, so figured it couldn't hurt to replace it (since I wasn't sure how old it was - nobody popped the little month/year tabs on the battery.)

Thanks for any advice if I should be concerned or not.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230K Limited Edition-RIP, Now 2004 SLK230K
17 Posts
Just like most appliances today, nothing is ever truly off because the "Brains" are monitoring and storing data even when the car is not running. Nothing to worry about unless your new battery goes dead. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz SLK 230
3 Posts
Trickle charger

They certainly do have a constant drain. If you have long periods of not being driven, a trickle charger may be a good idea. Most newer cars will drop the battery voltage quite a bit in two weeks. I keep a "Battery Tender Jr." on mine and it really works. In our winters, my SLK can go long periods without being driven. I make up for it in the summer. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts