Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if it just applies to the 120, but my spare wheel was bolted inside just above the wheel arch, which has been removed asit fouled the racking and now it's kinda floating about. As I'm trying to maximise space & make every inch count (I'd have gone XLWB or sprinter but for london parking) what can I do with it?

Options:

Underside carrier- (why is it not already? I gather most vitos have this. does 120 have wider wheels/ different exhaust that prohibit this? could custom bracket/exhaust address this?)

Rooftop- have full bed rack but this would induce drag continually

Back door- Bolted on land rover stylee? I'm planning on some tidy alloys anyway.

No spare- Tyre repair/runflat options. Any experience of these? I'd keep a spare to throw on for occasional long journeys but as most of my work is very local this is worth looking into...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My spare is stored under the rear of the vehicle, 120Cdi long, 225 60 16 tyres. It came from the factory like this, I thought that this was the normal / standard place for it to be fitted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With the new vito there are three lengths, a short, long and extra long.

On the short the spare wheel is stored above the rear wheelarch inside. This is due to the van being rear wheel drive and there not being enough space for the rear wheel carrier underneath.

On the long and the extra long the spare wheel is stored underneath.

It is this reaon alone I bought the long as I did not want the wheel inside.

You used to be able to get a device called "Pivlock" for landrovers which was a spare wheel carrie on hinges so the vehicle door did not take the weight of the wheel. It did mean that before opening the door you would have to open the pivlock like on early vx frontera).

I have used tyre sealant before in an emergency. As a get you home it is fine. However if you have a slit in the tyre instead of a thorn of nail it is useless.

You can also treat your tyres with latex. We used to do this on farm kit. The main disadvantages were the mess when changing tyres, the wheel was out of balance until centrifugal force distributed the sealant and useless when you put a slash in the tyre.

Hope this all helps.

TC

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the new vito there are three lengths, a short, long and extra long.

On the short the spare wheel is stored above the rear wheelarch inside. This is due to the van being rear wheel drive and there not being enough space for the rear wheel carrier underneath.

On the long and the extra long the spare wheel is stored underneath.

It is this reaon alone I bought the long as I did not want the wheel inside.

TC
Well you learn something every day. I thought that I had researched the Vito thoroughly before I bought my new one, but I never considered this. It makes perfect sense once it's pointed out! Thank goodness I was only interested in the long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts