Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we just got a new 09 E350 , really happy about it but we noted that there is no spare tire in the trunk, do we miss something ? any insight appreciated..., java

·
Registered
'13 E350
198 Posts
Lift up your trunk floor cover like mentioned above, and the there is another cover you have to lift up to gain access to your spare tire.

·
Registered
BMW
41 Posts
The spare tire is there like others have mentioned. That was the first thing that I checked when I went to pick up my car. Sounds weird (I know) but when you are coming from a BMW and their stupid run-flats, your priorities change dramatically when looking for a new car.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
I did not find the OP mentioning where he/she comes from. In Europe the spare tyre is an option (not expensive but does not come as a free option as it used to).

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,209 Posts
Since when Europe makes spare optional? When I used to live there -never saw a car without it.
I could understand that in more dense Europe finding new TYRE isn't difficult, but getting a flat on CA desert, where nearest tire shop is 300 miles away and the chances of getting the right tire are slim there is a concern.
Few years ago I had a flat coming back from Great Canyon to Las Vegas. Driving on limited speed spare took additional 2 hr, than had to wait 2 days in Las Vegas for the new tires to arrive.
Things can get ugly pretty fast.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Since when Europe makes spare optional? When I used to live there -never saw a car without it.
I could understand that in more dense Europe finding new TYRE isn't difficult, but getting a flat on CA desert, where nearest tire shop is 300 miles away and the chances of getting the right tire are slim there is a concern.
Few years ago I had a flat coming back from Great Canyon to Las Vegas. Driving on limited speed spare took additional 2 hr, than had to wait 2 days in Las Vegas for the new tires to arrive.
Things can get ugly pretty fast.
My second W211 came without a spare, the current 204 and 212 don't have a spare, the 221 has a spare but currently those too come without a spare.

The idea should be that the tyre fix kit would be sufficient, I've never used it but I haven't had more than a nail a couple of times, no flat tyre.

The point without a tyre is more about less weight, they also put the battery differently in the centre of the trunk on a W211 without a spare.

I understand the preference for a spare on a desert road.

·
Registered
BMW
41 Posts
My second W211 came without a spare, the current 204 and 212 don't have a spare, the 221 has a spare but currently those too come without a spare.

The idea should be that the tyre fix kit would be sufficient, I've never used it but I haven't had more than a nail a couple of times, no flat tyre.

The point without a tyre is more about less weight, they also put the battery differently in the centre of the trunk on a W211 without a spare.

I understand the preference for a spare on a desert road.
It doesn't have to be a desert road. I hit a huge pothole on my previous BMW (without a spare tire) when driving from VT to Montreal, the tire wall was completely destroyed and - very long story short - I lost about 6-8 hours until I was able to continue just because of a lack of a spare tire.

Having a flat tire (either a nail or cut sidewall) should be an easy 30min fix MAX. It should NEVER be a 6-8 hour "adventure".

The excuse that car manufacturers use about weight distribution, handling, blah, blah, blah, is completely stupid. 99.99% of the people will never get remotely close to the handling limits of any car on regular daily driving and will NEVER feel the difference if the weight distribution is 53/47 or a perfect 50/50.

If you buy a high performance car (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) then I fully understand the lack of a spare tire as a performance/balance benefit, but you also have to keep in mind that these cars are not meant to be used as a daily driver. But all this non-sense for a 3 series BMW??? Come on!

·
Registered
36,209 Posts
The mentioned flat on desert was in ML. On gravel road the tire blow 3" hole right in the center of the thread. Don't think Fixaflat would fix it ;) Tires were 6 years old and had less than 20% usable thread.
That experience made me later carrying full size spare on long trip with the trailer. Hosting 70 lb tire for ML on the roof was and adventure, but I slept much better on the trip.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
If you buy a high performance car (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) then I fully understand the lack of a spare tire as a performance/balance benefit, but you also have to keep in mind that these cars are not meant to be used as a daily driver. But all this non-sense for a 3 series BMW??? Come on!
Glad to see facts here.

What is wrong with the Euro option where the buyer can choose to take the spare or leave it out?

And if it is only about cost savings, why does MB then build a lot of parts differently for the car with a spare and a set for one without? It isn't only the battery fixtures but also several panels and linings at the trunk that are different.

·
Registered
BMW
41 Posts
Glad to see facts here.

What is wrong with the Euro option where the buyer can choose to take the spare or leave it out?

And if it is only about cost savings, why does MB then build a lot of parts differently for the car with a spare and a set for one without? It isn't only the battery fixtures but also several panels and linings at the trunk that are different.
I have no problems whatsoever if they give you the option. What I'm completely against is manufacturers forcing you to use the stupid run-flats like BMW does. They lost a really good customer (4 BMWs in 5 years) because of this and I am sure that I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
What I'm completely against is manufacturers forcing you to use the stupid run-flats like BMW does. They lost a really good customer (4 BMWs in 5 years) because of this and I am sure that I'm not the only one.
I'm not familiar with current BMWs, can you enlighten me, are run-flats a must on a BMW because of no space for a spare tyre in the trunk or is there some other reason the car cannot be driven with standard tyres?

·
Registered
BMW
41 Posts
I'm not familiar with current BMWs, can you enlighten me, are run-flats a must on a BMW because of no space for a spare tyre in the trunk or is there some other reason the car cannot be driven with standard tyres?
At least in the US they are only available with run-flats. Some of them (328i for example) have enough space in the trunk to fit a spare, but in others (335i) there is no room because the battery is in the trunk due to the "weight distribution" or some other ridiculous excuse.

·
Registered
36,209 Posts
I haven't seen W211 wagon inside, but in W210 full size goes comfortably into the side trunk well.
Maybe not the +-300 mm wide from AMG but normal size is no problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts