Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to remove the spare ?
This is definitely a trick, just wanted to check and see
if everything was their. Get this, try to put it back in is even worse, I thought I was going to have to grease the tire to get it back in place.

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
This topic was covered some months ago. After you're done contemplating how to remove and stow the spare, you can move onto the next question, "How do you stow the front or rear tire and wheel after you mount the spare?" I guess MB expects you to limit flat tires to your own driveway. On second thought, the car computer probably detects the absence of the spare and directs you to the nearest dealer to purchase a wheel and tire to replace the one you left on the side of the road. :)

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
fgwinn - 3/10/2005 4:34 AM

This topic was covered some months ago. After you're done contemplating how to remove and stow the spare, you can move onto the next question, "How do you stow the front or rear tire and wheel after you mount the spare?" I guess MB expects you to limit flat tires to your own driveway. On second thought, the car computer probably detects the absence of the spare and directs you to the nearest dealer to purchase a wheel and tire to replace the one you left on the side of the road. :)
I thought you were supposed to call the nice TeleAid people and have someone come and do all that for you[:D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
Yea, you have roadside for the life of the car so why would you worry about how to get the spare in/out [?] On the issue of the flat tire, it does actually fit in the trunk you just have to have the top up and remove the floor piece that covers the spare then the flat can stand up in the well were the spare was leaning against the inner wall of the trunk and then place the floor piece flat across the tire.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
Whether anybody "gets it" or likes it, the R-171 is really designed for run-flat tires. The C6 Corvette doesn't even have a place for a "token" spare tire like the one in the R-170. This is the reality that is coming; its getting too dangerous to deal with flat tires; the Explorer debacle virtually put Firestone out of business as a brand name with lawsuits, and put Ford seriously into the red about the rollover issue and vehicle safety. There is too much "riding on our tires" to quote an advertising phrase, to let them go flat and kill us by causing the car to crash, or to leave us on the side of the road, like Ennis Cosby, to get shot to death playing tire buster, changing a $100 flat tire on a $100,000 car. The technology is already here; its only a matter of changing buyer perception to accept the additional cost as desireable, and modifying production lines to ramp up volume production. Expect a "Check Tires" light soon to join the Check Engine light as standard equipment, to tell you to take the car to the dealer for tire repair at your earliest convenience.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
CP1 - 3/10/2005 8:57 AM

I have enough problems with the spare tire around my waist. [:(]
The Dunlop syndrome...done loppin over the belt[?][?][?]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
YellowSLK230 - 3/10/2005 8:49 AM

Whether anybody "gets it" or likes it, the R-171 is really designed for run-flat tires. The C6 Corvette doesn't even have a place for a "token" spare tire like the one in the R-170. This is the reality that is coming; its getting too dangerous to deal with flat tires; the Explorer debacle virtually put Firestone out of business as a brand name with lawsuits, and put Ford seriously into the red about the rollover issue and vehicle safety. There is too much "riding on our tires" to quote an advertising phrase, to let them go flat and kill us by causing the car to crash, or to leave us on the side of the road, like Ennis Cosby, to get shot to death playing tire buster, changing a $100 flat tire on a $100,000 car. The technology is already here; its only a matter of changing buyer perception to accept the additional cost as desireable, and modifying production lines to ramp up volume production. Expect a "Check Tires" light soon to join the Check Engine light as standard equipment, to tell you to take the car to the dealer for tire repair at your earliest convenience.
It was not the cost of the run-flats that discouraged me from buying them. It was what I perceived to be a more bumpy and noisier ride when I drove a demo car with them.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
malibuite - 3/10/2005 12:11 PM

It was not the cost of the run-flats that discouraged me from buying them. It was what I perceived to be a more bumpy and noisier ride when I drove a demo car with them.
I didn't notice any particular problem with harshness in either C5 or C6 Corvettes, which are suspension "tuned" for the standard run-flats on those cars. There would likely be minor suspension differences needed to adjust to the stiffer sidewalls of the performance run-flats MB offers; if they don't do that, then it would be no surprise that they would be somewhat harsher, but so is the "sport" suspension without the run-flat benefits. The Michelin PAX system is yet another different kind of run-flat with a very different wheel and sidewall properties and an inner support device to carry much of the weight load when a tire loses air; comes on the Honda mini-van. The C6 run-flat is 2nd generation and better than the C5 tire, so improvements are still being made in this technology. Considering the cornering ability of the C6, performance is already "adequate".

My main reason for buying run-flats would be for safety, and for the fact that neither R-170 nor R-171 really has a place to put the flat regular tire if you have any "stuff" in the trunk, and the goofy inflateable spare is less than confidence inspiring. Staggered wheel cars need run-flats even more than cars with 4 identical sized tires. Unless the tire manufacturers screw this product up royally, we will someday have kids who think "car jack" means only armed robbery.[:)]

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
Yes, spare tyre is a knack and I hope I don't have to use it. When I collected my 350 in Sept 04, run-flats were not an option in the UK (at least, I was not aware of it). Do run-flats sit on standard 350 wheels, so are we able to change to run-flats later should we wish?
Rusper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts