Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Spare Tire in the 2015 C300?

89391 42
The New York Times website has a video review of the 2015 C300 in which they display the Sport model.

In the review they make a point that there is no spare tire in the trunk. I cannot find any mention of this issue on Benzworld and on mbusa.com I don't see a spare listed as an option or accessory. (Did I miss it?)

I have had a few C class cars and currently lease a 2013 LS which has a reduced size spare in the bottom of the trunk. Granted I have been luck enough not to need it but it would worry me to drive a car without a spare tire nor would I very much care to have to buy a spare tire and wheel for a car I'm going to lease.

Anyone know whether the 2015 C300 comes with a spare tire?
Reactions: RayWJr
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
No, well in Australia we don't get spare tyres. Ive just sold my BMW F30 and just ordered my new W205 C and none of them have spare tyres as they run on Run Flat Tyres.. I am not a fan, but I've always carried around a space saver on those longer than usual trips.

Looking at the Australian C Class spec sheet, you can buy a space saver spare tyre.. probably for a huge amount of money.. my BMW space saver cost me $900 AUS

· Registered
2006 ML350 4MATIC, 2014 C250
15 Posts
The new C Class comes with "Extended Mobility Tires"......Mercedes enhanced name for Run Flats. They are supposed to ride better than Run Flats. To me, not having a spare tire is a deal killer and I would not consider a new C Class. Having a flat tire at the start of a weekend would put you out of commission for several days until you can order and have delivered a new tire of the same type as the one that went flat. You will need to do this as Run Flats are not repairable even for a common nail/screw puncture. If you have a 4 MATIC, as all new C Class cars are, you may even need to replace all 4 tires if the circumference on the other 3 worn tires is greater than 1/2 inch difference. Run Flats are also more expensive than a standard tire and you will be lucky to get 30,000 miles of wear out of them.

I just don't need to have any car with Run Flats.

· Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,307 Posts
I agree - you would think that after years of negative feedback on the BMW run flats, somebody at Benz (and BMW) would finally twig that they are not popular especially considering the cost and availability.

Is it possible to fit normal tyres on those rims?

No W205 for me until I can get normal tyres

Oberoi

· Registered
257 Posts
Bridgestone runflat tires on the C-class have very bad reviews and are very expensive but its quite convenient to drive 200 kms with a destroyed tire...

And even when it is written everywhere that we should not have different tires on the car I now have a standard tire on 1 side and everything is fine, because anyway I am sure that I won't buy any run flat in the future until they will be sold at this price and get so bad reviews.

· Registered
15 Posts
Running 3 Run Flats with 1 conventional tire must really effect handling due to the difference in side wall stiffness.

One reason you don't want to replace the Run Flats with conventional tires is that the suspension is "tuned" for the stiffer wall structure of the Run Flats.

Quite a few BMW owners are also not replacing their Run Flats with Run Flats either and are just risking it without a spare. Just something I would do. Basically, I just won't consider buying a car that comes with Run Flats.

· W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
9,175 Posts
Manufacturers are trying to reduce weight (to increase fuel economy) by eliminating the need for a donut (or even a full-size spare).

I think it's a ridiculous move. Both the '84 and '85 have fresh full-size spares that are ready to go at a moments notice. Oh, and I have all that awesome trunk space still!

The E350 has a donut, and when I had to use it and adhere to the 50mph speedlimit for such a tire, you can believe that impatient Texan drivers weren't happy with me not doing 80 in a 65 with everyone else!

It's been discussed before that there are adverse affects in vehicle handling as well as the overall ride quality when switching from run flats to conventional tires. Is there a way to have the suspension dialed in for conventional tires? With all the fancy electronics, there's almost certainly a way. The question is how much will it cost and is it worth it?

· Registered
9 Posts
I started a thread Extended Mobility Tires. It's on page 2. It might be of interest on this subject. Basically, I built a car on Mercedes website and the tires were Extended Mobility Tires and there was a disclaimer stating that the tires were not to be driven on ice or snow. You must buy approved wheels and tires. So, you can only get all wheel drive and you have to buy snow tires. I might have to buy a tank next.

· Registered
15 Posts
Try driving behind a car with Run Flats when it is raining. The decreased traction on wet roads causes them to slow down. When they lose their air pressure you cannot drive on these tires at more than 50 mph also and they are good for only 50 miles of driving distance before the side walls are shot. That is why you cannot repair a tire puncture on these tires as if you use them for what they are designed (driving without air pressure) the side walls are worn out.

If they are not to be driven on ice or snow what are you supposed to do? There are no Run Flats designed for snow or ice. If you are supposed to put winter tires on the car the suspension is not designed for regular tires and then there is no spare.

More reasons never to buy a car that comes with Run Flats (Extended Mobility Tires for Mercedes).

· Registered
13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
2,051 Posts
I have installed and ridden on several BMW's with regular tires that come from the factory with run flats me the BMW drives/rides better without them.

yes you can put regular tires on a car that came equipt with run flats. I have to say it but every car within the next 5 or so years will have run flats. less weight means better MPG. and with the 56 or so mpg mandatory avg mpg by 2025 or so this is how they are doing it. They are not going away. they are here to stay. Get used to it with you want that brand of car, if not than go to another brand. But a lot of makers are using them now.

· Registered
2015 C300
60 Posts
... I have to say it but every car within the next 5 or so years will have run flats. less weight means better MPG. and with the 56 or so mpg mandatory avg mpg by 2025 or so this is how they are doing it. They are not going away. they are here to stay. Get used to it with you want that brand of car, if not than go to another brand. But a lot of makers are using them now.
I agree with this. Like it or not, the spare tire is going the way of the manual hand brake. No spare in the trunk, no jack, no nothing. Some manufacturers provide "mobility kits" with regular tires, while others simply rely on roadside assistance or run flat tires. It's all about saving weight and improving fuel economy ... and there's no going back.

Run flat technology is slowly improving, and the current crop of run flats are much better than the ones of a few years ago. They still lag behind the performance and/or comfort of standard tires, but they are getting better.

· Registered
15 Posts
Honda tried Run Flats several years ago on their Odyssey minivan. They had so many complaints that they went back to regular tires and have not used Run Flats since.

Michelin and Hancock are working on a new design or tire/wheel package where there is cushion in the wheel and the tire is just a strip of rubber with no air inflation. This will probably be the replacement for the current Run Flat tire which will be gone in the near future.

· Registered
2018 C300 4Matic
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
. . .Like it or not, the spare tire is going the way of the manual hand brake. No spare in the trunk, no jack, no nothing. Some manufacturers provide "mobility kits" with regular tires, while others simply rely on roadside assistance or run flat tires.
OP here. Stopped at the service department of my dealership and got even worse news than this:

1. There is no spare in the trunk of the 2015 C.

2. There is no doughnut spare and wheel combo listed as in the parts directory for this model so even if you wanted to buy one, they don't have one to sell you.

3. One of the service guys was of the belief that there is no space to store a spare in the trunk. (I think he meant in the drawer below the floor.)

4. There is no jack delivered with the car.

5. Apparently, if you get a flat, a warning light and message goes off on the dash. If it happens on the weekend, you're screwed until Monday.

MBUSA, what the heck are you thinking?

· Registered
15 Posts
Additional Bad News!

Most people lease these vehicles. Try getting more than 30K miles out of these tires before they need replacement. You will be putting a new set of tires on these cars before you turn them in at lease end. Also, an Extended Mobility Tire will cost more than a standard tire.

· Registered
2018 C300 4Matic
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Additional Bad News!

Most people lease these vehicles. Try getting more than 30K miles out of these tires before they need replacement. You will be putting a new set of tires on these cars before you turn them in at lease end. Also, an Extended Mobility Tire will cost more than a standard tire.
Good points! Does anyone know how much they're charging for the wheel and tire coverage for the 2015? Seems like it's essential now.

By the way, you've also pointed out that some people might now be going for shorter term leases because of this issue although at my present driving rates, I would not put 30K on in three years. I prefer a two year lease anyway.

· Registered
1 Posts
I recently (September 2015) rented a C180 SW in Netherlands for almost 4 weeks. Loved the car but disappointed when I got a flat and looked in the boot to find all I had to get myself out of trouble was 4 high-visibility vests. Ended up driving into nearest town and had to wait whilst a new tyre was sent from nearest city. Cost was 155 euro.

· Registered
2012 GL 450 4Matic
1,203 Posts
This is because of the dreaded run flat tires. You would be surprised how many people have these removed at the dealer because they are so terrible and like you said you have to buy a second set of rims and tires for the snow. I am glad my 204 body has regular tires on it. Mercedes is not the only manufacturer doing this now. BMW, Kia, Hyundai to name a few.

· Premium Member
2013 C250
7,296 Posts
Are owners finding these new run flats (or extended mobility is I think what they are now called) on new C-classes better than old crappy BMW run flats?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.