Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, My tire looked low so I took it to ..dun dun dun Discount tire.. They replace nails in tires for FREE, supposedly.

We find the screw, they take the tire off, they show me the inside of the tire on the sidewalls, it was a bit eatin up on the inside from it being a bit flat and me having to drive on it. They suggest putting the spare on because the tire is "beyond repair", we pull the spare. Its the factory wheel and tire, made in 01. They tell me they arent aloud to bolt on the spare because the tire is .. "too old" even the it looks perfect.. So out of nowhere they throw on a spare tire for me, that they say the can put on and will fit just fine. They remove the correct size spare and replace it with a 215/60/17, after leaving within maybe 1 minute I get the ABS, BAS, and CEL, my speedometer has stopped working also. I assume our cars dont like these big tires? Getting a new 275/35/18 tomorrow from the shop, hope it fixes my issue as I had 0 when I walked in. :surrender:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
probably throwing off the ECU due to uneven tire size causing different wheel speeds.
Plus two. Since it's on the rear, I'd drive as little as possible, it's probably irritating the differential clutches, too.

FWIW, they are right about the old spares. They decompose over time, just exposure to air. At ten years they might last less than a mile or two in use, and that's driving gently.

Once you get a proper tire on your AMG wheel, shop around for a new spare tire. Who cares about the tread pattern or any of that, so long as the load rating is correct and the OD matches, you'll be good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts