Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05' G55K GE
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip to the northern part of Alaska this summer and will need to carry extra fuel. I have been looking at jerry cans, hitch receiver racks and such, but are they legal in the US and Canada? Ideally, an extra tank in the cargo area would be a good solution, but I'm not so sure that I need something that permanent. I also don't want to be smelling gas all day. I have this stinking suspicion that there is some law about how and where auxiliary fuel can be transported. Any one have an elegant solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Damon

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Roof Rack

dhaimoff - 3/20/2005 10:34 AM

I am planning a trip to the northern part of Alaska this summer and will need to carry extra fuel. I have been looking at jerry cans, hitch receiver racks and such, but are they legal in the US and Canada? Ideally, an extra tank in the cargo area would be a good solution, but I'm not so sure that I need something that permanent. I also don't want to be smelling gas all day. I have this stinking suspicion that there is some law about how and where auxiliary fuel can be transported. Any one have an elegant solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Damon

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I think Dutch is right.

Though not what I'd call elegant, given your wants/needs/desires, roof rack mounted fuel cans may be your best option.

Carrying gasoline inside the vehicle won't be an attractive option for safety reasons, though with good quality NATO style fuel cans you'll never get a whiff.

And given your desire to avoid permanent change to the vehicle, my personal choice is probably out. A custom rear bumper with a swing out tire and fule can carrier is a nice way to go since it makes the cans much easier to access and fuel transfer into and out of them can be performed without removing the cans from the rack.

The only bummer about having the fuel on the roof is that it's a royal pain in the butt getting the cans to and from the roof every time you need to access them. The full can is pushing 40 lbs and isn't a lot of fun to hoist over your head while standing on the bumper. It also depends somewhat on just how much fuel you need to carry. 20 gallons is probably about the practical limit before you start to notice significant handling differences due to the extra weight up high.

But I've done it that way often enough (on the roof rack), and if you want the method that makes the least change to the vehicle and is most easily reversible, then a rof rack is probably the way to go.

Above all else, make sure you get high quality fuel cans like the NATO style ones here:
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/

OR if you prefer the military's modern plastic counterpart:
http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/scepter/index.html

If you poke around the above site you'll also find Hanibal roof racks - very sturdy, and offer modular mounting systems dedicated to carrying fuel cans.

Good luck, ANd send us some pictures from that fabulous trip!

-Dave G.

And as to your regulatory questions, don't sweat it. Many hundreds for expeditionary vehicles have carried many thousands of gallons of fuel throughout the US and canada on and off road using the two styles of cans mentioned above carried in all manner of external racks. No problem with the authorities.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Hannibal Racks

Hipine - 3/20/2005 12:53 PM

If you poke around the above site you'll also find Hanibal roof racks - very sturdy, and offer modular mounting systems dedicated to carrying fuel cans.
I spoke to Nathan the other day. He does not currently have a source for Hannibal rack, as Hannibal USA is out of business.

Hannibal SA says they have a new distributor called British American. They are supposed to contact me, but have not as of yet.

I'm trying to sell the Kimberley Kamper; and, when I do, I'm going to be in the market for a good rack, which I had hoped would be a Hannibal.

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
I think Dave is right . . .

. . . when he says you can carry fuel in a NATO style can inside and not smell any gas. In good condition, they're air tight. In addition to the Wedco cans he referenced, Expedition Exchange also carries a dual can carrier which can be mounted to a roof rack. Instead of mounting it on a roof rack, I use it inside, just sitting on the floor of the cargo area. I have one can for fuel and one for water. I don't think safety is too compromised carrying the fuel inside. Only a rollover would worry me, and in that case cans on the roof are equally problematic, IMHO.

BTW, John and Ho, the guys who run EE, are nice guys and a pleasure to do business with.

As for regulations - I'm not sure. They can differ based on the region. For example, in California you are not able to buy the regular NATO cans. You can only buy a special California version (which accepts a special spout to minimize the escape of those oh-so-wicked vapors.) You are allowed to have the NATO style and use them, just not buy them.

[Edit] Further, here in CA one is not supposed to store fuel in a garage or other enclosure except in special safety cans which allow vapors to "burp" out of the spring-loaded lid as the fuel volume changes with temperature. Those cans are not appropriate for carrying fuel in the vehicle, as they are not air tight by design. To keep to the letter of the law, one is supposed to transfer fuel from a jerry style can into a safety can for storage indoors. [B)] How's that for inconsistent? So the vapors burp out, I hit the garage door opener, the motor gives a little spark. You guess what happens next. I keep the gas in the NATO can.

Remember when filling metal fuel cans to always have it out of the vehicle and ON THE GROUND. Touch the pump nozzle to the can before opening the can and dispensing fuel to minimize a static spark hazard.

— Spalding

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/jerrycanholders/

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 240GD+, Alfa Brera 3,2 V6 Q4 2006, Alfa GT 3,2 V6.
221 Posts
For our trip to Namibia in July we have prepared a frame that hangs from the "gutter" and fixed to the rubber trim, using the same holes as the existing (replaced with threaded rivet)The entire structure in steel angles, wery sturdy and tested on rough roads. It holds up to 4 J-Cans per side (water & fuel).
If you are interested, I will send you some picks and specs. (an easy DIY)
M.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
amzimmy - 3/22/2005 9:23 AM

For our trip to Namibia in July we have prepared a frame that hangs from the "gutter" and fixed to the rubber trim, using the same holes as the existing (replaced with threaded rivet)The entire structure in steel angles, wery sturdy and tested on rough roads. It holds up to 4 J-Cans per side (water & fuel).
If you are interested, I will send you some picks and specs. (an easy DIY)
M.
A really neat solution. Sadly, it won't work on the 463, since there are no holes or screws holding the rubber side moulding. It has only adhesive holding it in place.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looking at it, the can-frame could rest against the rubber trim and tied to the truck frame in the rear wheel-well by a tie-strap. Just as a suggestion.

M.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Yes please

Your designs haven't let me down yet! Send along one of those patented AMZ sketches when you get a chance. No hurry.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
221 Posts
RE: Yes please

Hipine - 3/22/2005 4:43 PM

Your designs haven't let me down yet! Send along one of those patented AMZ sketches when you get a chance. No hurry.

-Dave G.

Dave I'll be busy this weekend, will post pics and "non patented" sketches

M.

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
Damon,

Where are you headed in Alaska? If you need an Alaska contact or just want to stop by and say hello - I am in Anchorage. Maybe we could meet when you are up here. It is a very lonely place for a G wagen.

Adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts