Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did this use spacers to get this stance. I know not perfect but I want some wheels till I can find the real ones I want and these can be found for nothing these days then just resell when I find the correct ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
Did this use spacers to get this stance. I know not perfect but I want some wheels till I can find the real ones I want and these can be found for nothing these days then just resell when I find the correct ones.

DBMB
If you are looking for this stance, you will need H&R springs, 1 nub front coil spacer and 3 nub spacer in the rear. This is what I have and have this stance. I don't have a good picture to share though. Wheels will need to be 17"X8" ET11.

Mike

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That is the info I was looking for. Makes the SEC look great.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
DBMB
If you are looking for this stance, you will need H&R springs, 1 nub front coil spacer and 3 nub spacer in the rear. This is what I have and have this stance. I don't have a good picture to share though. Wheels will need to be 17"X8" ET11.

Mike
Thanks for the input Mike - do the fender lips have to be rolled? Me, I'm still rolling the 15" 'phone dials with winter rubber that will go to the 300SD this weekend - am refinishing Ronal 17s with 235s for the spring...

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts

Yes my fenders have been rolled and have no issues with rubbing. You can always roll them later if you start to have rubbing issues. I am running 235/45/17 Pirelli P6 tires that tuck perfectly in the fender wells. The Ronals will be a good accent to your car. Are you going silver or color match to your car?

Mike

·
Registered
89 560 SEC US
96 Posts
DBMB

Mike
hi what do you mean by 1 nub front spacers and 3 nub rear? thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
hi what do you mean by 1 nub front spacers and 3 nub rear? thanks. :confused:
There are rubber seats on top of each suspension coil that come in different thickness form 1-3 ( 3 being the thickest). On the side of each rubber seat there are nubs (cutouts) signifying the spacer thickness. 1 nub= #1 spacer, 3 nubs= #3 spacer. I have a 1 spacer in the front and 3 in the rear. This will give you a rake in the front. If you want to level out the stance, the rake spacer thickness range from front to back must be decreased. If you has SLS rear suspension you will also have to fine tune the height using the height valve. I will try to get some photos later today.

Mike

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will say trooper6 is yours looks like that it will be very nice looking. I think that is about perfect. Looks like I have some wheels sorted out in a bit here. When I saw kodiakj2 switched his I was quick on the draw as finding period wheels has proven tougher than I expected unless I want some deep centas which I am finding everywhere here. I believe his wheel set up although ET22 will do just fine given the 17x9.5 width on the rear. Now to work out the ride height equation. Very excited to see yours as it will give the tech behind the look on the suspension.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Well that saved me some time...

There are rubber seats on top of each suspension coil that come in different thickness form 1-3 ( 3 being the thickest). On the side of each rubber seat there are nubs (cutouts) signifying the spacer thickness. 1 nub= #1 spacer, 3 nubs= #3 spacer. I have a 1 spacer in the front and 3 in the rear. This will give you a rake in the front. If you want to level out the stance, the rake spacer thickness range from front to back must be decreased. If you has SLS rear suspension you will also have to fine tune the height using the height valve. I will try to get some photos later today.

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to share this, have filed this gem away.

Sticking with the silver for now, have polished the lips since the clear had failed...just time and effort with 320/500/polish etc....

Attachments

·
Registered
89 560 SEC US
96 Posts

Mike
just making sure the 1 nub in the front and the 3 in the rear it will make the rear higher and the front lower.. sorry for being redundant just want to be sure.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
By George I think you've got it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC Black on Grey
1,888 Posts
A little help please.

Dear Sir,
You seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to 560 SECs and I was wondering if you could answer a question about ride height. I have a 1991 and want to lower it so I bought a set of H&R sport springs (front and back). I keep reading about nubs and I am not sure exactly what you all are talking about? Obviously they raise or lower the car but where do I buy them? Do I need them for sure? I have 16 inch Ronals with 225/55 on the rear and 225/55 on the front. I want to keep the SLS intact as it works fine. I must have a 3 inch gap between the fender and front tire and about 1.75 in the back. Is this normal for a stock set-up? I'm hoping just adding the springs in the back will drop it 1.5 and that should be perfect but it still seems that the front will sit too high if it drops 1.5 like it is supposed to.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have read through 1000 posts about this subject and my brain has given out.
Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
Bob, post a pic and state if your HR springs are installed in the pic or if they are stock.

The nubs are referring to the MM thickness of rubber pads on the top of each spring. For now, just submit a pic and look at my signature picture....it is a stock 91 and is higher in front than in the rear, but my rear is adjusted higher with the SLS until I lower the front with HR springs.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
The nub that we are referring to is item 5 in the drawing. They come in various thickness and are identified with a nub (cut out). The higher number of nubs the thicker the shim is. You can get them at the dealer, parts.com or autohausaz.com

Mike

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts