Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe Mercedes would have left this blank for you to see the nothingness inside the dashboard! theyve thought of too much to just forget that!

is it an option i dont have?

the sun hit it just right the other day and i could see some workings under the dash and it really didnt appeal to me.

on the 124, its a compass/outside temp gauge? heh heh mine didnt just fall into the depths of the dash, did it?

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE space that also houses the warning lights...there are three pieces of black plastic...perhaps one of yours did fall...
jake

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
That little black plastic piece that should be there falls out sometimes when you remove the cluster.
-Joe

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking the same thing, karugs!

But what to do... compass/temp display? what color to use?

a digital readout of any kind would be fun, but since nothing else is digital, it might look queer. it'd be nice to have a display for the ipod and a flip switch in the right of the steeringwheel(left if youre a leftie) to ff/rw the track and/or volume controls like the newer models! but that would take alot to do and much know-how! what would be even more fun would be a "rolling" display, like those stock tickers, that would be very fun!

a lighted version of the uber-tacky, poorly copied last supper fresco? that'd be easy, just have it prnted and install a little christmas light on the hot wire for the dash lighting. but it'd be in poor taste, i think.

anyone else have any ideas? lets keep it going! this is a small space, but its almost the only one not currently occupied with anything, so its open to anything!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Odd, I wrote on my previous post "You can use this image for photoshops". Can I request a moderator edit my previous post to have that sentence written down? That way the image I posted will serve a purpose

Oh well, yeah be creative! You're an artist yourself, iNeon, so you should know what to do. Make an abstract design small enough to fit that space. Or what about your favorite forum website? Or what about "1979 240D", or your car's pet name?

On your car you'd have no need for boost pressure, but on the turboed models perhaps a digital boost pressure gauge would work...? Hmm...the rolling thing would be too distracting for me.

If you have enough space maybe a digital outside temp gauge would be great! But you'd have to make sure the dash lights are bright enough to illuminate them (if it's the typical black/white).

That iPod integration thing sounds good if you have one! (I don't) Or for fun, if you always bring along somebody, a "Passenger Eject" option? [:D]

I can't think of anything now aside from the digital boost gauge or outside temp gauge, maybe tomorrow I could come up with something. It might also appear in my dream tonight! [:D]

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
iNeon - 4/10/2005 3:13 PM

I can't believe Mercedes would have left this blank for you to see the nothingness inside the dashboard! theyve thought of too much to just forget that!

is it an option i dont have?

the sun hit it just right the other day and i could see some workings under the dash and it really didnt appeal to me.

on the 124, its a compass/outside temp gauge? heh heh mine didnt just fall into the depths of the dash, did it?

Isn't it supposed for the "P-R-N-D-L" lamp? The gear position lamp?

·
Registered
450, 350 & 280 SLC (W107), 280TE (W123), C36 AMG (W202), Brabus B6S (W210)
107 Posts
tiger_biru is right. That place is for P-R-N-D-1(?)-2(?) for those rare W123 with gearbox at the steering wheel. A friend of mine have such C123 230... No digital things (but You can install some...)

G

·
0 Posts
The w124 has a digital read out
there, maybe some bright electrical
wiz can make it work on the w123.

Louis.

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
interior/outside temps would be neat, there are scrolling LED and LCD displays you can get for ricking out computers, couldnt be thaaat hard to modify it

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
pondscum007 - 4/11/2005 8:22 PM

interior/outside temps would be neat, there are scrolling LED and LCD displays you can get for ricking out computers, couldnt be thaaat hard to modify it

....with letter like "please brake", "too fast", "press NOS now", " bit scary", hold on", "are you nuts" etc...[:)]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Lol Tiger!! [:D]

tiger_biru - 4/11/2005 5:43 PM

pondscum007 - 4/11/2005 8:22 PM

....with letter like "please brake", "too fast", "press NOS now", " bit scary", hold on", "are you nuts" etc...[:)]
Hey that PRNDSL sounds good but of course we'll need original parts to make it look right. Dealership? Any electrical wizkids here who could lend us a hand on how to create these? [:p]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've been digging around on this today, ill have to figure some things out, but it looks like a fun project!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats exactly what i was looking at!

but i want the yellowish white color of the original dash things(manual climate knobs) i saw alot of blues and greens and ambers, but they were all very bright and didnt look right to me.

i dont have a turbo, so turbo anything is out for me, im still thinking about a digital multifunction unit. it might take a while to figure out, though! my mother had a grand cherokee with the same thing on the roof, it was a compass/outside temp gauge and fuel computer.

ive seen a fuel computer for the w126 chassis cars, but that was in german. its going to require a few senders, some electricity and a little wiring harness. i was planning to use the fader switch(i dont have rear speakers) or one of the blanks on the top switch panel to make the control buttons, sort of oldschool iDrive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts