Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking for a fellow southern californian ... I'm removing my instrument cluster to send in for repair (odometer doesn't work) and I can't get the darn thing out. Is someone close to me that can help? I live in 90242 (Downey) and work in 91101 (Pasadena) ... willing to drive to you after work, Monday evening, reasonable distance okay.

Cluster is partially removed, most plugs undone, can't figure out the cable directly behind the fuel guage ... put a 13mm wrench on it and no luck either direction. Also, very unsure about the speedo cable and afraid I'm going to break something. To make matters worse, I'm leaking oil from behind the cluster, probably from the oil pressure guage though funny, I don't think I disconnected it yet!

Anyway, Monday evening help sought ... thanks!
Carl

PS PM me for cell.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
If you are looking for a good shop to help

Per www.merceddesshop.com "Best shops" in the California area, near you is MR.MB Motors in Tarzana, not too far away from you.

The owner Enrique is highly acclaimed and draws customers all the way from Idaho and North California, is very fair and reasonable rates, and seems to be the best shop in the state, not too far away from you. He used to be the shop manager at Beverly Hills Mercedes and Autosteigler in Encino before he moved to open his own shop. I think over 30 years of experience. He has a huge following of loyal customers

I haven't been to him yet, but from what I have read, he is the best shop around, and I hope to make a trip down there this year sometime even though I am closer to Reno than LA.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cascase, thanks for the help ... really looking for a DIY'er to help pull out the instrument cluster ... don't mind paying for most repairs--and found a great shop within a few minutes of my house--just looking for someone local that can guide me through removal so I can send out the panel for repair.

Appreciate the search!
Carl

·
Registered
1985 300D California / 2006 E350
64 Posts
The cable behind the fuel gauge is the oil pressure line. If you're already seeing oil, it's either partially disconnected, or broken. Either way, you need to fix it before starting the engine, or you'll get oil all over your interior.

This should help:

How to Repair Your Broken Odometer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ... dropped it off this AM for repair, apparently the oil pressure guage/line was not working, hence leaking oil ... while they're fixing that I've also asked them to fix the odometer and refresh the cluster with bulb replacements.

Thanks!
Carl

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
They must have eliminated the oil line to the gauge in 1981 and have gone to electronic oil pressure gauge. There was no oil line to disconnect on my '83 300SD and I had the cluster out o replace the dash light dimmer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts