Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - any ideas on where to source a 350Sl badge (as my car is a 350SL 4.5)? Not seeing it from the usual sources - sorry if this is obvious but newbie here still.

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
have you removed the 450sl badge to see about shadowing or damaged paint? i would be worried that if you changed the lettering, it would be visible where the old letters used to be(tho i spose only the 4/3 would be different)

I have one, not in the greatest shape, a bit dinged up on the chrome, needs the black bar underneath the lettering repainted..looks good on my little shelf on the wall tho..

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you removed the 450sl badge to see about shadowing or damaged paint? i would be worried that if you changed the lettering, it would be visible where the old letters used to be(tho i spose only the 4/3 would be different)

I have one, not in the greatest shape, a bit dinged up on the chrome, needs the black bar underneath the lettering repainted..looks good on my little shelf on the wall tho..
Good morning - the car does not have a badge at this point, and as she is such an early car (#914) I am assuming it was originally a 350 badge. Good point on condition of paint under the old badge. Looks like it has been missing for some time.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Heres the one i have. like i said, a bit weathered on the chrome, and that little black strip needs repainted.

its no show piece, but, in my opinion, after some shining up, would pass the "6 ft test"

has all three mounting tabs, would however need a die ran down them to redo the threads.

I pulled it off the black parts car i had, someone had epoxied the little tabs to the body.

·
Registered
1972 350SL 4.5, car #917
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there - so the bar under the letters is supposed to be body color?

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you look at that pic, there is a chrome bar on the bottom most of the badge, that is supposed to be chrome.

right above that, and below the lettering is a dimpled(textured) area, that (i believe) is supposed to be black, i have seen them shined up to the chrome underneath tho.

i dont think its supposed to be body color, just black. or perhaps it is supposed to be chrome, and someone has painted this one black, i cant off hand remember what the one on dads first 350sl(that emblem now resides on a shelf somewhere in his office) had in that area, or what the one currently on his car now looks like.

i imagine over the 40 years these cars have been around, the paint does begin to chip.flake off.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,325 Posts
looks from this one that the strip is black:

On my car with original badge, it is now mostly chrome (or whatever it is, maybe S/S?) but the textured strip below the numbers has traces of black and looks like it might have all been black originally. Paint likely won't stick well anyway, so polishing whole badge might look better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts