Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E420 1997
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is their a aftermarket source for this? Can only find used ones on ebay and I'm not buying a used one. Or is this dealer only?

Occasional maf 100 code, stalls when at idle sometimes and sometimes has asr when stalls but sometimes not, sometimes surges at speed (30-45).

Took the maf off last night to clean, deteriorated coupling to intake...may have been leaking, going to get one now (hopefully) from dealer. Wiring is just awful though I'm sure you all know this. Would like to keep the car a few years as my son drives it and will be off to college soon.

edit, got maf gasket at dealer, $40. They didn't have or show the rubber grommet that couples the top of the maf to the air plenum/engine cover. Said it must be part of the cover! Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
E420 1997
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well still cuts off after idling a bit, still sometimes ASR sometimes not. Seems to do it after I stop and sit for a few minutes at idle. It (computer) catches it and keeps it from dying sometimes (rpm's still drop way down). Heat?

Thinking wiring harness before maf (no codes after it shut off and ASR). Should I take it to dealer and get the star diag read? Will it possibly show more something I'm not seeing on OBD?

Hope I ain't somehow p1ssed people off on here, cause I'm gonna need help to fix this!

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Hello Ken,

Of course taking it to the dealer is a great idea, if you have the money. I'm am surprised there are no codes appearing. I had a similar problem which turned out to be my k40 relay which is in the computer box.

Posting pictures would definitely boost your thread activity as its more entertaining...just saying.

I'd let the guys here get their word in before sending it to the dealer.

·
Registered
Black on Black 1997 E420
267 Posts
The symptoms you are describing sounds like your MAF sensor could be the culprit. Was the sensor ever replaced? Even if there are no CEL, scan for any stored codes.

·
Registered
E420 1997
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gentlemen. I did forget to mention I took k40 out for insspection everything looked ok except maybe some of the mechanical solder joints for the relay frames, I reflowed those. Overall nice and clean and no hot spots indicative of high current/ poor resistance. Still could be though!

yea, the no codes seems strange but only checking from odb. have captured live data when it happens too...nothing jumps out. Was hoping it would get worse, which it is, and start throwing codes.

I'll get some pics up here...good point!

Thanks again,
Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts