Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been experincing for the last month an oscillating vibration in the front that is felt through steering wheel at about 60+ mph. I thought it was tires so I had tires balanced and rotated. Shaking still there. It appeared to be coming from the right front side so I decided to investigate today and found that the ball joint in the tie rod end had a ruptured boot. But I cannot feel any play in it. I had my wife turn the steering wheel with the wheel off and I heard that familiar creaking that's been there since I've had the car. It appears to be coming from the lower bushing on the sway bar link. I plan to go ahead and replace the sway bar links and outer tie rods. All the other components appear to be tight and in good condition. Should I look anywhere else for this vibration or do any of you feel I should have it covered replacing these parts? The right front axle and hub bearing are new from 2 years ago.

Attachments

·
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since my ipad won't let me upload but one photo at a time, this is the bushing that has had the annoying creaking:

Attachments

·
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had front tires road force balanced. Still have slight shaking at 60mph+. If no one has any ideas on what else to look at, I'll go with replacing the obviously bad tie rod ends and do sway bar links while they're doing it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had the same shaking in my 94 E500... had my tires road force balanced as well... The tire shop said my front wheel bearings were loose and tightened them and it fixed the vibration 100%

·
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, put car in garage this morning and jacked it up to take a look at keft front wheel. It didn't take long to find that the drive axle is shot. You can shake the inner cv's. A good bit of slop. I've located a new axle assembly for $366. Inner boot is split due to the fatigue from the flopping around.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts