Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 00e55 I have bright blue/white looking xeons on my headlights and conventional yellowish looking lights on the inner smaller driving lamps. Both of these lights are on together and to me it looks weird that two are bright blue/white and the two inner smaller ones have a yellowish hue to them.

Are bright blue/white looking xeon type bulbs available for the inner driving lights, and if so could you recommend a source?
thanks

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
http://www.ambulbs.com/ The "bluest" bulbs are the AdvancedOptik ultra blues, but they have been sold out for a while now. The bulb is a H6W. Also have Philips and Osram replacements, but I'm told that neither is very "blue" looking. I'm holding out for the ultra blues when they become available again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks F55
are the bulbs you mention direct plug and play replacements without ballasts or other monkeying around, just change the bulbs and go I am hopeing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks F55 I bought the Osrams from that site and after I get them I'll share what they look like.
Right now my rig looks confused in the front so if the Osrams are even a bit more matching I'm consider it a $24 victory.
After you get the nicer ones that are now out of stock let us know how they look.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good post! I was thinking the same thing. I think that I will buy a pair of another brand since they are so cheap, until the ones you recommended are available again. The site that Fast55 recommended is the only one that actually sells that bulb.....very wierd.

Kevin

·
Registered
986 Posts
Don't know first hand, but I'm told the Ultra blues are the "bluest", or "whitest", followed by the Philips blue visions, then the Osrams. But even the Osrams are much less yellow and should be a noticeable improvement. They still can't tell me when the Ultra Blues will be available. I ordered some crap bulbs off of E-bay that were supposed to be HID looking, and they don't even fit in the socket![:(!] Let's see what these look like when you get 'em in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would order the same ones, so please let us know. I passed a Pep Boys on my way home from work today and just stopped in for the heck of it, and they were trying to sell me some 55watt Sylvania Silver star as a direct replacement! It was an H1. The guy said his computer said thats what the E55 had??!?!? Needless to say, I didn't buy it, and just left the store.
Kevin

·
Registered
986 Posts
Clueless. I haven't found a single H6W bulb of ANY brand at a regular auto parts so far. The dealer will sell you plain replacements for about $15.00 ea!!

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Going from memory (better double check) there are TWO bulbs in that fixture - the H6W "city lights" (running lights, AND an H1 High Beam bulb. I replaced both with Xenon lookalike bulbs - definately better, but not a match to real Xenon.

I'd spend again to get a more perfect match.

·
Registered
986 Posts
True, but they should know the difference between them. Seems no one stocks the H6W "parking light". I converted the high beams to HID but still have the stock H6W's. What bulbs did you use?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just installed the Osram h6w's and they look exactly the same to me as the original yellowish MB lights.
If somebody can tell me in "dummy detail" how to paste in a pic I'll post the look of the Osrams.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That sucks. Did you do a side by side, or just replace both at the same time? Pics are easy. When you reply, there is a check box for attaching a file. check that, and follow the instructions.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No side by side comparison as I changed both and thought they looked the same but after looking at them in a parking lot from a distance the new ones are whiter, not as white as we want but better, Hey F55 thanks for the pic posting info I'm traveling this week so I can't post the pics from my travel computer.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That's OK. If you can, post a pic with only changed out so we can see the difference. Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
You really have to replace both bulbs in the fixture with Xenon look (blue) bulbs to get any noticeable difference. Matter of fact, my High Beam Xenon look bulbs are blue shaded to start with, and even when not on, they reflect (from the city lights) more of a blue white color than the stockers.

I'm convinced the only way to really get HID / Xenon looking lights inside is to go that route ($$). Otherwise - you can get closer, but not exact.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I changed out my ML320 lights (H1 and H7) with Japanese high quality looking blue/white lights. They are not any brighter but they have a Xenon look. However, they didn't last long and burned out in a few months. I was thinking about changing my E55 lights to white light also but don't know if there is any good brand out there which is reliable. How long does the Ultra Blue last? Are you guys changing the fog lights as well?

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Hi Guys,

So I decided to get the philips blue vision bulbs for the inner lights. They def look better, but still not very blue, more of a white look. I am attching a picture from before, and then of one after. Also attaching a close up of the inner light with the philips blue vision bulb in it.

Also keep in mind, my xenon's are with 6000K bulbs.

-tq

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts