Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320; engine number 30 633407; last 6 VIN 172300
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a reliable source for a power steering rack? I didn't see them listed on parts.com, so I wondered if there were any other sites people purchase these from?
I have a leak that I need to top off the fluid about once a week, and it doesnt appear to be coming from the hard lines going into the rack.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to be coming out of the right side inner tie rod boot. Other than that, I cannot spot any other stream.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
I just found one for half the price, based on another member's posting. I just don't know if this is "good enough".

2000*Mercedes Benz*ML320*Power Steering Rack from Carsteering
This is the decision that you will have to make. Contact the member who used them by pvt. message or email and see how things went.

The other thing you have to consider is who is going to remove and install the rack. If it's you then you have a huge job ahead of you without the use of a lift, and if the part is wrong then you will suffer the time spent and the down time of the truck.

If you are going to supply the rack to a mechanic then you have to understand that if it is wrong when he takes it down and matches it up, or after installation it leaks, you will have to pay double labor and then he will have to reinstall your old rack just to get the truck off the lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes this is quite a dilemma. The truck did not pass inspection today because they state the rack has a "BAD LEAK". I told them I realize it leaks but it's not bad enough that I am needing to top off the reservoir every day. (truck gets on average 25 miles per day). I do top it off once a week or so, and to me that is not considered a monumental leak to get rejected, but to them it is. It's very frustrating because the regulations don't really define what is a bad enough leak, so once the first guy condemns it, the rejection sticker has his comments and that of course leads the next guy to take the same stance. UGH.
Firestone quoted $1100 for the job.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Yes this is quite a dilemma. The truck did not pass inspection today because they state the rack has a "BAD LEAK". I told them I realize it leaks but it's not bad enough that I am needing to top off the reservoir every day. (truck gets on average 25 miles per day). I do top it off once a week or so, and to me that is not considered a monumental leak to get rejected, but to them it is. It's very frustrating because the regulations don't really define what is a bad enough leak, so once the first guy condemns it, the rejection sticker has his comments and that of course leads the next guy to take the same stance. UGH.
Firestone quoted $1100 for the job.
Stay away from Fierstone on this one.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I agree, I doubt they are going to use the correct fluid (and maybe not even correct part, their part was listed at $520), and most of their mechanics have probably never even worked on such an SUV before. I only took it there because I thought this inspection would be a slam dunk, I didn't even consider this leak being on the radar. But of course i live in a state that does not have dedicated inspection stations, and I find all too often that the inspections result in questionable rejections, conveniently for them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi 43, in this post you made from 2010, you mention a repair kit and noted that what it contains is unknown, and it was up to the poster to figure that out. Have the contents become known since your post? Just wondering if the leak from the bellows is definitely going to require a full replacement of the rack.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1555131-please-help-leak-pass-side-rack.html#post4443531

"Pete, M/B sells a repair kit (#47), but what it contains is unknown. Here are the procedures for removing the bellows and inner tie rod. "

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,105 Posts
Well, the Boot repair kit is #45 and what it look like is an O-ring along with a the boot itself. I don't know if that O-ring is enough to stop a leak. You might just have to buy the kit, install the new O-ring and see if it stops the leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts