Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have tried two different wheel shops where we tried to install a few different wheels non fit over the brakes or they were the wrong center hub bore, I purchased some used aftermarket ML wheels they have the wrong offset and stick outside the wheel well a bit and the wheel bolts are way too long or too short using the spare tire one, does anyone know where to get some wheels that actually fit the R class and don't cost $378 each (dealer), I am dead set on 17" I want a skinny tire and already have them. I see Ronal lists one but the offset is not very strong (just 48, where as the OE wheel is 56) so I don't want to blindly order them and have wheels sticking out the sides, I really hate that look and it is really hard on the paint to expose it to all that road rash. I am willing to travel to try em on, Toronto to Montreal but unless someone has knowledge of what fits don't want to order without trying...
Tirerack had Sport Edition something or other with a ton of offset and backspacing, but no longer sell them and I canot search them out on the internet, they don't seem to exist as a company online. They still offer other sport edition wheels so they are still in business...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am looking too.. but I am curious about your offset figures.. My owners manual says 8 inch wide with a 67mm offset. Many suggest that an 8 inch ML wheels fit also, but they have a 60mm offsett putting the wheel 7mm further out. Thats not that much really.
I gather you are planning on a 235-65-17 tire? If so, the narrower tire would more than make up for the offset!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory 17" rim offered on 2006-7 models is 7.5" wide with a 56mm offset.
Your 2008 has 18" rims, that are 8" wide and 67mm offset.
I need some serious winter performance for the driving I encounter, wide snow tires are not an option, so yes a 235/65/17 is the size I am shooting for. I may even go narrower with a 225/65/17 if I can get one with extra load rating.
I have found countless remanufactured rims out of the states, but I want original not molested and fixed junk...
The one tirerack has was the sport edition f10, they no longer offer it and I cannot find it anywhere! It had lots of offset.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try Replika Wheels - Home

I have the R132's in 18 inch for my snows - offset is 50. They come in a 17 inch and should fit (according to their fitment guide - I would call to make sure). Offset is 45 but should be fine as they are only 7.5 inches wide. You'll need longer wheel bolts - but if you order them from a shop they'll probably throw them in.

BTW - I'm running 255/55 R18's and they don't stick out beyond the wheel well. In fact, I like they way they look, since they're a little more flush than the OEM 19's. Since the 17" are 1/2 narrower, a 45 offset should not be a problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is when they claim to fit the older 163 and the newer 164/251, they each have different offset requirement it is not a one size fit alls. Sure the wheels fit on the vehicle, but they stick out past the wheel arches and spray crap all down the side of vehicle. The R requires more offset then 45mm, offcourse it depends on the backspacing too. I was at a replika dealer, he tried what he had and refused to order anything more due to fact that what he had did not fit (according to his book it would). And he was selling for $90 a wheel, that is what got me in the store. I could afford to buy an extra wheel to replace the bends that are sure to happen!
As for rebuilt wheels, no thanks, I bought a clean original Mercedes, I want it to stay that way so factory original (not refinished) is my way, just have to find some clean used one I guess. I can source rebuilt wheels through Keystone for way less then that website, but I will be hanging on to the bitter end and I don't want to find the paint coming off my wheels five years in. You should see what happens to those wheels on ebay that are chrome plated (factory 17")and then spend a winter in Canada, one winter is all it takes! Totally destroyed, and unsafe due to the corrosion build up everywhere underneath the plating.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm sure you're already well aware, but please make sure that the rotation dimensions don't change too much. It will throw off your speedo and other speed dependent senors. Others more technically savvy than I can let you know whether you're too far off the norm. The 2006 owner's manual suggests winter tires of 235/65 R17 104H M+S for the R350.

Being in cold Chicago, I agree that thinner tires do a better job in the snow. My prior BMW 3 series absolutely had to have thin snow tires. Mercedes 4matic, on the other hand, does a pretty good job on all seasons, in my opinion, although I've yet tried snow tires on the R500.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It sounds like you know exactly what you want, so it's just a matter of finding it.

I looked at kijiji and CL for a couple of months and didn't find anything suitable. The replika wheels were the highest offset in a reasonably priced aftermarket wheel that I found. Another site you might want to try is Mercedes R Class Wheels - W215 Wheels - these are replica wheels, less than OEM but with factory offsets. You're going to have a hard time finding the factory offset in an aftermarket wheel - so your best hope might be to buy used OEM.

It's a little late in Ontario to be looking for re-sale wheels for winter, but the warm weather might be in your favour as it's usually the first major snowfall that causes the rush.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking for wheels since June, that is why I am expanding my search. Most of the idiots on kijiji were leases that are up and they have the wheels leftover and they seem to think they are worth what they paid for them 3 years ago! The local dealer is selling snow sets for $1500, I have not found a used set for less then that. I bought an aftermarket set for $500 with excellent rubber but the offset is wrong, they were on a ML.
I want as skinny as possible and I don't really care about speedo accuracy (but I do know all about it, I work as a mechanic), haven't had a ticket in this country ever, I pay attention
I am looking at a used set this Friday, hopefully they are as promised.

·
Registered
390 Posts
let me know how it works out. I need a set by dec 15 in quebec. I have found a OEM wheel with winter tire set her in montreal. I may just by tires and get a set of 20 inchers for summer later.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I feel for you! I just got a set of aftermarket wheels and quite new Toyo tires from a guy who said it was form his R500.. said is mechanic got them for him... Well I installed them and they seem to be fine. They are 8.5 wide. 55 offset. That makes them stick out 18mm more. but with same tire size its not that bad. I hope there are no long term effets. Even so.. I only paid $800 for the set, much less than new tires alone, so even if i keep the tires and sell the wheels i am not doing too badly

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up with new michelin latitude Xice. Found them on kijiji for $600 a set, still have stickers on them. Not my preference, but cheap enough to live with. I wanted Nokians, but most of their suv line is studded and illegal in eastern Ontario.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts