Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, My wife's '00 ML320 has a rough idle and every now and then I hear "putt putt putt" during idle. I swear it sounds like and exhaust leak under the right front wheel well. However, I looked around and couldn't find any leaks...plus it comes and goes at idle and disappears completly with increased RPM. The ML has about 86K miles and has been serviced regularly by the stealership. From browsing the forum...I'm thinking, plugs and/or wires, EGR valve & hose or MAF. Cleaning the MAF & EGR is easy, so I guess I should start there. Anyone heard a similar sound? I'm I on the right track? Thanks

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
I wouldn't think it's an exhaust problem, few and far between on this forum. What you should do is check for a loose spark plug on that side.

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
Hey Guys, My wife's '00 ML320 has a rough idle and every now and then I hear "putt putt putt" during idle. I swear it sounds like and exhaust leak under the right front wheel well. However, I looked around and couldn't find any leaks...plus it comes and goes at idle and disappears completly with increased RPM. The ML has about 86K miles and has been serviced regularly by the stealership. From browsing the forum...I'm thinking, plugs and/or wires, EGR valve & hose or MAF. Cleaning the MAF & EGR is easy, so I guess I should start there. Anyone heard a similar sound? I'm I on the right track? Thanks
Could be a cracked exhaust manifold. Have heard of this problem from a couple other members over the years. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
904 Posts
I wouldn't think it's an exhaust problem, few and far between on this forum. What you should do is check for a loose spark plug on that side.
Er, poor welds on the cats? From what I've read it is a _very_ common problem. Like many issues, though, it is a fairly cheap fix as long as you have a competent mechanic. Around US$100 to reweld. There is a TSB on this but for me the repair price was worth not fighting the dealership on whether the factory should cover the repair.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I checked the cats and exhuast manifold and I couldn't find any cracks or evidence of a leak...which is good. The "putt, putt, putt" shound comes and goes, but is mostly heard at idle. I changed the oil today and didn't hear it at all, but the idle is still a little rough. I think this is one of the wait and see issues. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
144 Posts
Do you have this noise only when your enigen is cold? If that's the case it could be a wel known problem.
I dont know if your able to read your OBD but I'm sure you get error code P0410 (Secondery Air Injection)
At least that is something that I have at this moment. My ML does also sound like a leak exhaust, but only when engine is cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts