Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l know, this is a odd question.....but l've had my 02 ML 55 for about 1 week and half now, and its a "real blast"...l have a few items on order, that are under warranty, and soon she will be in for some TLC...but lately, when l reverse out of my driveway, and go over the bump..l heard a "Clunking sound"..its hard to describe....it can be fairly faint at times, but l don't hear it going over bumps on the roads, only on more severe drops like driveways....any idea's guys......maybe's lower arms?????l have 66,000 KM's, on her, and l certainly want to cover this under warranty....

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Carlos, dont know if this is the same "clunk" you are referring to but I recall a post

a while back from angldrkns9's ML55 regarding a brake line rubbing against master cylinder line.

<a href="http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1165587&posts=7&hl=brake+line">Here's the original post</a>. HTH. BTW, congrats on the ML55!

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Have them check the torsion bars as well for clicking in the adjuster area.

Since it is likely that you will be keeping the ML for a while, you might want to consider getting the 3 year MBC extended warranty prior to the 4 year bumper-to-bumper ending!

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drew - 3/6/2005 11:28 AM

Have them check the torsion bars as well for clicking in the adjuster area.

Since it is likely that you will be keeping the ML for a while, you might want to consider getting the 3 year MBC extended warranty prior to the 4 year bumper-to-bumper ending!
Thanks Drew..its nice to see you around....

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
Isolate the clunk noise. Is the noise through:

Steering - Mine did that and had to "tighten" a nut somewhere.

Brake?

Body?

Over bumps only? potholes, too? Only in reverse.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
C-Rod - 3/6/2005 7:09 PM

Thanks Drew..its nice to see you around....
I am around, but have a new job and my workstation is not fully set up yet, thus no net access for the time being during the day! [}:)]

Congrats on the ML BTW [:)]

·
Registered
2002 ML500
50 Posts
My 02 ML500 does the same thing - coming down the driveway in the morning backing up - when my fronts go over the driveway-to-street-concrete-waterway-dip-thing (I'm pretty sure most people know what this is, but I can't think of the proper name for it) I hear a moderate "clunk".

I've had it in twice and they can't find it - they say they looked at the steering rack, the sways, the torsions, and the lug nuts (I hope they looked at those First! :\) They could not replicate it - so I either have to take the service manager home with me, or to some driveway where I can replicate it.

I did not tell them that (obviously for me) my wheels are turned pretty hard to get my vehicle angled the right way on the street - that may be the missing link. (hehehe - link - get it... Ok :( )

Post the solution when you have one.

-JT

·
Registered
526 Posts
JT,

Just make sure you ask the service manager what type coffee he likes to drink in the morning and how long he spends in the shower.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The truck goes in next Thursday, for servicing..My SA thinks it sounds like, the sway bar bushings...l guess we will find out....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts