Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
MB 230K 98, MB 200K 00
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i turn my stearingwheel between 90 and 180 degrees either way, it sometimes make a "queky" noise, like it needs to be oiled or something. You guys got a clue what this can be? It's not too loud, but I can hear it clearly.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
112 Posts
Had same problem on my 99 SLK. Dealer cleaned and lubricated steering damper which is a small shock absorber in the steering gear under the car. That was at about 20K miles and problem has not come back. Last time I took car to dealer, at about 73K miles, I was told that I needed a new steering damper and about $1400 of other work on the B service. I now use an independent shop and they simply cleaned and lubed the damper again. Car now has 84K miles and steering gear is quiet. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
MB 230K 98, MB 200K 00
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. How much does it costs to have it fixed would you estimate (like 50$ or 500$ or aprox. what???)

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
112 Posts
First time I had it done it was part of the overly inflated B-service charge and was not listed independently. Last time I think that I got charged about 1/2 hour labor time. The independent shop I now use charges $75/hour and not the $96/hour that the dealer charges. I would think that if your car is in for any service, just mention checking the steering damper and it will be a minimal charge.

·
Registered
MB 230K 98, MB 200K 00
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had it in for service to check this problem. Error report states:
"Found noise was caused by leakin power steering pump. Client declined P/S pump, rear main seal, cam auto adjuster, reseal, crank seal, sway bar bushings, and control arm bushings"

The client, that would be me, declined this due to they should have a freaking 2000$ to fix this. Anyone has any idea how to fix this for less money (max 500$)? What will happend if I not fix it? Anyone got a clue?

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
The squeak might also be dry bushings. This is a common problem - but not a risk - in R170 SLKs and pre-04 203s.

·
Registered
MB 230K 98, MB 200K 00
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now anywhere around here that can fix that esay and cheap. (See you live in dallas, I'm in Arlington)

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
I don't buy that it's the power steering pump...you say it only makes the noise between 90 and 180 degrees each way, but if it were the PS, it would make the noise whenever you turned the wheel, and it's more of a whining noise. I say it's the bushings.

·
Registered
MB 230K 98, MB 200K 00
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's my guess as well, and why I didn't want to spend 2000$ on it. Do you think I can have this looked at at any garage or? Is it hard to fix?

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Hah.. i found this thread! LOL .. i've been having this whining sound when turning intermitently for about two weeks now. I dont think its the bushings .. hopefully not the PS pump.. i dont see any leak and the car still steer the way it should. i get the sound after taking hard turns or when exiting freeway ramps, usually in the morning. And when the sound starts it doesnt stop (only while turning though even from a dead stop and steer) until i park the car and let it cool for some time.

Steves!!
any tips on how to get to the steering bumper?

Blokhus!!
did you find any solutions yet?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
This was a fairly comon problem a while back ........

A bushing(s), in the steering column, I think it was some form of elastomer (rubber or plastic) was dry from the factory. If the mechanic has a clue as to what he's doing, it should only take a few minutes to take care of.... [:)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Blokhus - 2/2/2005 9:29 PM

Had it in for service to check this problem. Error report states:
"Found noise was caused by leakin power steering pump. Client declined P/S pump, rear main seal, cam auto adjuster, reseal, crank seal, sway bar bushings, and control arm bushings"

The client, that would be me, declined this due to they should have a freaking 2000$ to fix this. Anyone has any idea how to fix this for less money (max 500$)? What will happend if I not fix it? Anyone got a clue?
The hoses to the power steering pump on my car had been replaced twice before a new dealer diagonised the problem as a bad p/s pump. I had no noticeable symptoms but the techs saw the leaking fluid. Turns out that MB did not have a p/s pump in the country and had to order it from Germany. I asked what the repair would have run if I was not under warranty and was qouted ~$1400 for the new pump & install.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
A high pitched whining sound, somewhat a squeeling warbling sound, can be as simple as a worn hard or inadequately tensioned drive belt, or as expensive as worn vanes in a vane type power steering pump if the sound is coming directly from the pump(which is more of a nuisance than something requiring immediate service). If the belt is old, its not a bad idea to replace it anyway to avoid a future breakage problem.

A growling, lower pitched sound, can be caused by low fluid level due to leakage over a long time at shaft bearings on the pump, a leak at a fitting or seal on the steering gear, or a slow hose leak; air mixed in with the fluid causes the growling sound; if you top up the fluid level and the sound continues, its a different problem.

A rebuilt pump is around $160 at Active Auto Parts, if you need it, and around $30 for a replacement belt. A person with average skills and metric tools should be able to replace the pump, which usually also requires swapping the drive pulley from the old pump to the new one, once you get the pump off the car. You would also need some MB approved power steering fluid to refill the system, which will purge itself automatically of air once it is filled with fluid.

I'm not sure why worn bushings would cause the kind of continuous sound I think you are describing, but maybe someone else knows of a property of this particular steering system that I don't; in general, continuous power steering sounds come from the steering pump, because it is the only thing that is driven continuously.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
steering bumper??? LOL i meant steering damper!! i wanna try lubing that before taking my car to the dealer.

Thanks for the info guys!!

I still have 1K mile warranty left on the car, so i guess i'll have to check if the pump is covered.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
If the steering dampner has rubber bushings on the ends, try to lube them. Use an oil squirt can and some rubber lubricant from autozone. If the bushings appear a little loose, just drive a couple of nails (yeah, smacks of shade tree mechanics--but does increase the hardness of the rubber and takes up clearances) into the rubber biscuit. Use sturdy nails and not any longer than the biscuit is wide. Use a counterpunch and put them below the surface and no one will know.

Regards

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Just flushed my steering fluid using an evacuator.. filled it up, drove a little bit and sucked it up again then finally filled it up.. and now... the whining sound is gone.. also the old fluid looked pretty bad compared to the new one. It has this redish/brownish color like the color of rust. For any of you have the whiny sound.. i recommend to flush the fluid.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
139 Posts
Where, specifically is the dampner? do you have to remove the front under cover to find it? is it hard to replace?

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Dead easy - undo the 4 bolts holding the plastic undertray and you're there just in front of the sump - just undo each end

Oberoi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts