Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Benz 260E and others
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to upgrade my audio system and don't know what would be a simple affortable replacement system.
I am not looking at turning my car into a concert hall but I want better sound.
I'M looking for a 1 CD type radio and better speakers.
I've looked at several radio/CD players and they all look like they were designed to be installed in show cars with blue/neon/jazzy face plates with StartWar design. I want something with a clean/classical design to go with the car.What speakers would you recommend. I do not want to enlarge any speaker hole or replace the wiring. And my bank account is limited. Thanks
JackD

·
Registered
1987 560sec
297 Posts
hmmmmm, speakers, i'd go with infinities, very good, and cheap for quality. head unit. i...

hmmmmm, speakers, i'd go with infinities, very good, and cheap for quality. head unit. if you want Very good sounding. i'd go nakamichi or eclipse. other than that go with a pioneer or alpine. www.crutchfield.com sells the speakers for your car by entering your model and year and it gives you the size and brands. plus they include complete installation instructions. the 124 126 body styles require some work to install the headunit, due to the unorthodox wire colors and if applicable you might have the fader wheel below the gear shift, which you have to bypass, either by rewiring for rear speakers or cutting wires off of fader and rewiring to the head unit. good luck.

·
Registered
1994 E420 (W124)
22 Posts
Need an Eclipse Head Unit?

If you are needing an Eclipse head unit, I have a couple of new ones in the box. Email if interested.

·
Registered
1987 560sec
297 Posts
hello,
what models eclipse do you have? and are they warrantied? any other brands? how...

hello,
what models eclipse do you have? and are they warrantied? any other brands? how do u get them, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1989 300E, 1999 C230K
18 Posts
Sound system upgrade

Look at the Nakamichi decks, they are probably what you are looking for. Even Blaupunkt has gone for the glitz. Nakamichi is apparently top quality plus looks that fit in a Mercedes. Prices start at $400 CDN plus taxes and installation.

I want to do this myself but will have to wait a bit. Anyone got any feedback with Nak decks in their MB's? Anyone selling an older Blaupunkt CD receiver that has the more conservative looks?

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off-Road
513 Posts
Some stuff I like...

Here ya go JackD, some hints I can FINALLY give you [:)]. My car system is on the bottom, and it doesn't sound like a concert hall, but real close considering i don't have subs. If you are upgarding, do a good job. You'll enjoy it.

If you buy anything from Crutchfield, which I highly recommend (they are nice to W124 owners)... use this referral code to save me some cash: p3xus-wbfq3-wivg3
Thanks!

I am a Sony guy, so don't let me persuade you. I gotta CD/MP3/XM sony receiver (its silver and looks nice in a brown benz - CDX-MP70) with 2 infinities upfront and 2 xplods in back. No sub and it sounds nice.

Some recommendations...
-------------------
Tape/CD Combo:

-------------------
CD

-------------------

My System [^] And yes, it looks great in a brown interior. Rear 5.25 xplods are covered by stock grilles, same with front infinities. Orange display on head unit matches the gauges. - CD/MP3/XM +AUX capable - This was kinda costly and took a while and MINOR cutting for the 5.25 xplods. It includes the V60 phone (similar to the one in the new Benzes) and kit. It mutes the stereo when doing a call and plays over a loud speaker. My Police scanner is hooked up to my head unit and the CB, HAM, FRS, and GMRS are seperately attached. The ol' 300E interior is nicer and has more equipment than most Benz's!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 420SEL
112 Posts
Classic Look...

Hmmm, for classic looks Nakamichi is very hard to beat and they are absolutely top of the line when it comes to quality.

For speakers, Infinity, JBL, Polk are my personal top choices but I understand Alpine makes first-rate speakers and were at one point an OEM for MB and JL Audio has a highly regarded series, although I personally do not have any experience with them.

Just by going with this combination, I think you'll get exactly what you want.

The "Star Wars" look seems to be all the rage these days and it drives me up the wall, too. I mean, who the heck needs a screensaver in a car radio??!! - I have a Clarion myself, and that may be another good option for you. I think the DX425 is a good choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts