Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a headliner from a traveliner at the scrap yard that I want to fit in the back of my Vito. Its currently converted from a van to a dualiner configuration but only had a headliner in the front cab. At the same time, I intend to get a custom soundproofing kit from Noisekiller. However the kit doesn't come with anything to insulate the roof and I'm not sure if I'll really need anything.

I was hoping someone might have some hints and tips on installing the headlining and soundproofing, anyone else done this. Is it as knuckle scraping and fiddly as I'm expecting? The only other DIY work I've done on the Vito was to remove the pollen filter and that resulted in lots of swearing and lost skin.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I put 10mm foam in the gaps glued in.. If you use dynamat, you don't need much area to deaden the sound and it's adhesive backed. It's also quite thin (but it is heavy!)

Cehers

Ad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
darkside - Thanks for the suggestion, I've already seen that thread which is where I found the details for NoiseKiller. I put some of the flashing tape on the roof last night and built some boxes for the wheel arches. Unfortunately, in my haste I didn't make enough allowance for the carpet that's already in there so will have to build some more that are 10mm bigger.

mattnbrown - That looks like a really nice job you've done there. Almost exactly what I'm looking to achieve. Can I ask where you bought that acoustic carpet?

My van is used for daily commuting but is normally loaded with muddy mountain bikes at the weekend so would definitely agree with the pimp but practical comment.
One of the motivating factors of doing this is to make the annual mountain bike pilgrimage to the Alps that bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooh sweet.
Don't want to take this too far off topic but this is what mine is normally carrying around.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Acoustic carpet supplier

I have just ordered a few rolls of acoustic carpet from here at about the cheapest price I could find so far.

·
Registered
152 Posts
this is what my van normally carries,not a greart pic,will take a better one.few mtn bikers on here.mattp94 i`m thinnking of going to the alps this year,maybe you could give me some pointers?rode whistler last sept and it blew my mind,can`t wait to get back there.do you ride locally or cwm carn/afan? i ride around llantrisant(smillog) pentyrch area a bit,and down glyncorrwg/brechfa as i live in bridgend.could hook up one w`end for a spin? how do you find the lyrics?

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey guys, I ride South Wales a bit. Normally head down to Cwmcarn on the Surpeme DH (shown in the back of the van) and also take my Meta 55 out and about too.

Whistler is unreal in't it! I've been out summer and winter and it's awesome, would move there in a flash if I could work out how to not make minimum wage!

Have you heard of gravity-slaves? That's my website and the reason I've got the Vito - essential tool for a downhiller!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rufflesurf - Is that the SX you have there? I tend to a bit of everything on the bike, usually ride locally around Castle Coch, Wennault on Wednesday nights then Cwm Carn, Afan, Glyncorryg (sp?) on the weekends. I wouldn't call myself a downhiller, more a jack of all trades.
This years trip to the Alps is to compete in the Megavalanche or more to just survive it. Convoy of mates/vans heading down early July. Re the Lyrics, I love 'em, went for the coil option as I wanted a bike with minimal maintenance hence the Rohloff.

Darkside - I know of gravity slaves very well. In fact I was just reading this from your site a few days ago.

·
Registered
152 Posts
mattp94-yes its an 06 sx trail,i`m the same as you and use the bike for everything really,very pleased with it.regards the lyrics,a friend of mine is thinking of getting some thats all.hope the mega go`s ok,would love to have a go! do you ride with the guys off mtb-wales on a wed?
darkside-how do like the meta 55? did think of getting the new 666,but unshure about single pivots!! can`t get on with them!
have to arrange a v class ride out then one day!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The Meta is amazing. Really good as a trail bike, drop the seat and it's a mini dh bike. As a mainly DH rider, I love the slack angles and low BB. Surprisingly stable and beefy for a relatively light bike. Pretty good on the ride back up too! That build is about 31lbs with relatively heavy wheels (tubeless though).

I was unsure how I'd get on with the single pivot Supreme, having had two Lawill linkaged YETI Mono 9's in the last 5 years. I need not have worried! Awesome bike, corners really well and is fast and stable.

I entered the mega and was planning on doing it on the Meta. Unfortunately family commitments mean I can't make the mega - I'm so gutted! Especially after all the build-up I gave it on my site. Oh well. Hopefully I'll be doing the Masters Worlds instead. Proper DH, I love it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the soundproofing kit from Noisekiller has just arrived. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed, I was expecting a pallet load of stuff but all the sheets and engine blanket fit into an A3 size bag. Looks like I'll have plenty to keep me busy over the weekend now. Just hope it gives the sort of results they claim.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I want to sound proof all the back of my van then Ply line it...how much would it cost, for the sound proof???

Or is there a cheaper way??????:thumbsup:
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The kit from Noisekiller cost about £300 and as I mentioned in an earlier post I was a bit disappointed with what actually arrived. The kit mainly comprised of self adhesive pads that are a mouldable rubber type compound. The idea is that they dampen vibrations in the metal panels rather than giving sound insulation. It has made a significant improvement but I still get quite a bit of engine noise.

For the roof I bought some lead flashing from Wickes (DIY shop) which seems to do a similar job but perhaps not quite as effective. It is a fraction of the cost though. Behind the ply lining I also have some egg box high density foam but I picked that up in work so I couldn't tell you how much that would be retail price.

The Noise killer kit also came with thin high density foam pads which line the foot wells at the front of the van and a lead lined engine blanket.
The blanket makes a difference but it's not as effective as it could be simply because there is little or no room immediately between the engine and bulk head to fit it.

Overall I probably spent around £600 including the rear headlining (£100) and carpeting throughout. I also covered the ply lining with foam and a faux leather material (probably more cosmetic than sound proofing). I think it was worthwhile but its certainly not luxury car quiet unless I'm going down hill with very little throttle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know off topic but anybody fancy coming out to the French Alps for the summer? I spent last year out here 'guiding' around the Grand Massif and Les Gets etc and it is the best. Absolute stunning cross country and awesome lift service. We are going to be doing some stuff this summer. Cheap and cheerful. Accomodation etc

Just for info its snowing here deep.

Have attached photo of my Vito in the snow. Still goes like a train even with 2 feet of snow on the ground

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, myself and 7 mates already have plans for this year. We're coming over to Alpe D'Huez in July for the mega Avalanche race and will be spending a week mountain biking and sampling the local brews as well as trying not to get seriously injured. Would normally have a week with BikeVillage but it's always good to hear about other opportunities. Do you have any more details about the guiding/accommodation on offer. I'd be interested to hear about them.

For those that are interested but haven't heard about the Mega there's a write up about it here and plenty of you tube videos here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
cabin noise

hello all, just signed up as i have recently purchased a vito which i intend to customise in a camper fashion. The only gripe i have with mine is the afore mentioned cabin noise over 60, its shocking!!! now after reading these threads i feel confidant in what to do to line the back of the van, i am also going to fill my front doors with loft insulation, only question i have is what would be best for the cabin roof lining? flash tape onroof, or insulation stuffed into the headlining, or both? any advice very appreciated, cheers, matt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts