Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 SEC 560 43,000 miles. Origionally sold in Hong Kong.
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Pioneer AVIC F910BT sound, gps, reversing camera, bluetooth handsfree unit along with new speakers and 2 10" subs. I had to relocate some switches to place the screen high on the consol.

Also found a flash gear lever knob.

Next job is to make a new surround panel on the concol and have it covered.

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts
Wow, what a transformation! Will you be able to keep the curves of that console shape you have going there? Looks superb, i wouldnt even have known it was a 126.

What do you plan to make the console out of?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will make it from aluminum, thats the best way to cut and file the holes for the switches which need to be very accurate, allowing 2mm clearance for the leather covering.

Other options would be to have the aluminum finished in the woodgrain to match the rest of the interior. I plan to remove all the woodgrain in the car eventually when it is retrimmed. Although no final decision yet I may cover everything in leather.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Looks good! :thumbsup:

How does it sound?

Where did you put the subwooofers?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Axel
Removed the first aid and storage boxes to allow sound from the trunk. On advice from a pro faced the subs rearwards. The box is shaped to allow access to the spare wheel.

In the pic you'll see a wood frame on the parcel shelf shaped to match the rear speaker covers. The frame will be covered in fine speaker mesh when I can find a supplier.

The sound is just awesome, I cant stop driving around just to listen.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you get the flash gear lever knob?
After looking for a year i came across it a shop on the other side of the country while on holidays. Sadly I threw the box away and can't tell you the brand. I think it was Italian.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Hi Axel
Removed the first aid and storage boxes to allow sound from the trunk. On advice from a pro faced the subs rearwards. The box is shaped to allow access to the spare wheel.

In the pic you'll see a wood frame on the parcel shelf shaped to match the rear speaker covers. The frame will be covered in fine speaker mesh when I can find a supplier.

The sound is just awesome, I cant stop driving around just to listen.
I made use of the holes for the storage bins as well.

We've basically done the same thing, mounting a pair of 10" subwoofers in IB (infinite baffle), with two different approaches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts