Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we had some discussion here about dynamats and stuff, but just finished reading this thread about a product which does it really well: http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=254880&st=0

You apply a few layers of this stuff on your car (preferably under all the carpeting so that you don't actually see it [;)] ) and the results are supposed to be quite apparent!

Could be a nice way (even if it does add a bit of weight) to make the car (or any car) quieter, especially at highway speeds [:D] (I'll definitely buy a gallon for my GF's car, it's a bit too loud due to all the thin plastic).

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
That is basically what they use as a dampener from the factory. The spray is a little more time consuming than the adhesive mat, but the results should be the same. Layering is easier with the spray as well.

You've had your new car for a while. How do you like it? Any quirks/problems to report?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problems with my car yet. Handles better and is quieter then the old one. Oh, and a lot more powerful too...

The only things I can come up with are the following (if I REALLY had to nitpick):
I wasn't able to get + type DVD's to work in my COMAND system (burned with MP3's) even though the manual says it should work. Could have been the media and burner I used. Other people said that their manuals only stated that - type media should be used, so it could have been a typo.
Also, two flaps in the trunk were not correctly seated (or closed, depends how you look at it). Not a fault in the car, probably just an oversight from whoever built it. It's kinda like being delivered your car with the glove compartment open instead of close [:p]

But no rattles, no squeaks. Quieter ride with the top up, and water doesn't streak in through the top of the windows when I hand wash it. Break in was brill and the power comes up in gobs. I've accidentally reached redline quite a few times while playing with the F1 style 'switches' on the steering wheel. The nav system is neat, I don't use it much expect maybe to look at the map and get a quick idea of where I am. It's not a 3D style map, just an overhead, but that's a moot point. I don't think you can see the map well if it's some kinda 3D affair.

The 16 spoke rims are pain to clean, and overall the front spoiler is a lot more complex, so waxing/polishing/cleaning it (as well as the rims) takes time.

I have the option to open the roof remotely, and it too works fine. Uses Infra Red however, so you need to be in 'line of sight' of the door handles, but so far it hasn't blocked on me once (is smoother, faster and quieter then the R170 roof).

Interior space is a bit larger, especially laterally, I can feel it. Space to place my arms and so on.

And of course, the engine drinks a lot of gas [xx(] But only if you really push it [;)] My TOTAL average is actuall 13 liters to a hundred or something like this, on the highway it's about 10 to a hundred. So it's almost the same as the old 230K.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Now would be a good time for a post that says something along the lines

STOP!!!! I used that sound deadning stuff on my car 4 years ago and now my car is rusting out from the inside out! The stuff is like a sponge and holds all the condonsation and will rott your car out. Just a warning, I have to resurface and paint my entire trunk, under my carpets and my wheel wells because of that shit. The factory isn't doing shit to help me.

Watch em all freak out [}:)][}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John Boy: they were talking about that in the S2000 thread. They mentioned that most modern cars should be a lot more rust proof, and I didn't get the feeling that this stuff acts like a sponge. It's supposed to 'cure', after which it's not water soluble anymore.

Could depend on the climate too... maybe more interesting for those with aliminium/magnezium/plastic bodied cars in a non humid/rainy part of the planet *shrug*

Don't kill the messenger [;)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Ya missed the joke [:D] The product sounds great! That's the joke! Now that everyone's done using it, put in a post saying that it will rust out your cars!

We all know that it won't rust their cars. See, its a joke. I was just being the devil's advocate. Sorry if ya didn't find it humorous.

They'll all panic! [}:)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heh, I was skim reading through your post and didn't see that first bit [:p]

My bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts