Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i get a call from a friend of mine who is stuck and need to be pulled out. Me being the nice friend go to the rescue. Once there i see this is going to be a bad problem. He is stuck in a puddle that i could barley make it thought back in 03 with 35's and huge amount of flex on a grand.

After finding the best way i proceded to pull around and get him out. The weight of the g made the ground inbetween the ruts cave in. Next thing i know im smack dab in the crap. He has a 98 disco which had sank to the tops of the bumpers. The G on the other hand sank till the bumpers where gone :(. I did find out that upon one trip to the dealer they must have fixed my leaking problem because i didnt get anything inside :)

Long story short we had to call another friend to pull the disco backwards ( which is what i should have done but i didnt want to get to dirty) After the disco and jeep where out they started there crap about me having off road tires, lockers and im still stuck. I explaned that i could not go anyplace because they where in the way. Also not being a fan of tow straps or chains ( one broke one time nad busted my winshild) i decided to see if i could drive out.

Moral to the story is yes and now. all diffs locked in HI, Low was to low tires would spinn when i let off the brake. After about 5 min of drive to reverse i finally backed out of the "death hole". I have no clue what has been back there but both skid plates where hitting on the way out in reverse. Trying to go forward got you no place. The front bumper would hit then skid plate. At that point the ruts still rose about 8 more inches before you where out. I wish i had a camera with to take pictures of this hole. They are talking about running some of the trails next to it next weekend so if they go ill ride with them and get you a picture of the hole.

Anyway here is some pictures of afterwards. Needless to say i spent a lot of money at the car wash.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
So you werent stuck, but you couldnt pull out the Disco ?? Your story is a bit confusing ...

Awesome pics though !! Get some when you are actually wheeling it.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i wish i had a camera because i can asure you it will not be back in that hole ever again. It killed my wheels too. Looked like washed them with a grinder. The wife is so not amused...

Yes i was stuck with the disco behind me. I could not move forward. After he was pulled out of my way i was able to back out after about 5-6 tires of going drive to reverse to get a little grove in the mud.

The way these mud bogs are they go in order. puddle land puddle land puddle land puddle puddle puddle river. He has in the last one, so when i went around him to pull towards the river i was stradling the ruts alread made over years of wheeling. one caved in and make me slide in the puddle. Then i could not get out.

If you look real close you can see the water /mud line in the second picture on the rear door is the easiest place to see it. Its almost to the door handle.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Wow Kerr, from the first picture it's hard to believe your truck is actually black! [:D]

I'm just curious, what was your friend doing off-road in the first place? Was he on a trail or did he just decide to go wherever he felt like? It's nice to hear that you tried to help him.

What doesn't make sense is that he's the one who got you stuck so why is he heckling you for not being able to get out (especially if he was blocking you from getting out)?

I'm glad to see your G is still together, considering how much work you've already had done on it.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, the man at the car wash was not amused :)

Yes its strange the way this place is layed out. you start by going across a river that about 10-15" deep depending on where you cross. There is a real steep gravel hill that goes up to all the trails, But if you go to the left it puts you out in about 2 acres of flat (flood land) with a lot trees. Over the years people have made paths back through there. Like any mud people some one has to dig it out.

So to answer your question yes and no, Yes he was off the trail going here he wanted but everyone does it. More of a braging right if you make it.

As for giving me a hard time its all good. we have been friends for 15 years..

I think i could have made it all the way thought if the ruts comming out where not so deep.

He left a message saying he lost a fog light and his lisensplate so we might go back later today and see if we can find his stuff. if so ill get a picture of the land.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
WOW .. that's some pretty nasty stuff. Helps me understand your story though. Kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1209873&posts=8&fid=29

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is about what it does. i have more pictures of that the place but figued i would not waste band space with them. In the one you see where my skid plate was hitting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts