Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
vito 110cdi, mini cooper sport, toyota hilux, toyota surf.
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyway about 10mins ago i whent through a flood(was about 1-2feet deep.
i was almost at the other side but i stalled as i forgot i was in second.
anyway i have taken the airbox lid off and there was a bit of water in it.
will the chaincam save my van or do i need to fix some valves

thanks all

·
Registered
2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
1,423 Posts
Hi ya, it all depends on whether it ingested any water, a very little water you might get away with but anymore and you could be looking at bent conrods, a cracked head, broken pistons or other damage. Does the engine turn over? does the engine run? have you done the sensible thing and not tried to start it?

Martin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did try and it turned over once but nothing else,
i have taken the airbox off and left it overnight to dry out,
i never went over 1k rpm all the time i was in the water so i was hoping that if i have got some in the cylinder it would stall and not bend the rods.
think i will have a look at the oil tomorrow and give it a turn over maybe, atleast im self employed and have other cars to drive

what would you recommend i do

·
Registered
v230
78 Posts
first thing to do before you do any more damage is to remove all your glow plugs and pull the diesel pump relay or disconnect the diesel fuel line, once you have done this gain access to the crank pully and turn the engine over manually, if it make 1 full revolution without getting very tight or stuck then you may be very lucky (dont worry if any fluid comes out of the holes where your glow plugs were as that will be any water you have sucked up) Now if it turns over ok manually then try it on the key. this will expel any further fluids in the cylinders, do this for at least 10/20 full revolutions on the key to make sure no fluid is in the cylinders, now if all is still looking good refit the glow plugs and the relay or fuel line and try to start. you may get lucky but at least you will know there is no fluid in the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I would strongly advice against trying to remove the glow plugs as they have a habit of snapping off in the head, a far safer bet is to remove the injectors and do as above but the fact that you have already cranked the engine over would make it pointless as the damage would already have been done. If it was me i would just try turning it over at the crank pulley with a spanner, if there is no resistance try and start it up as long as you are certain that all the water is out of the inlet manifold, if you split the inlet you can hoover any water out and just leave it off when you first start it just to be certain.

Martin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do i need a special socket for the injectors, like a really deep on, i havent even looked at them as i have not had any trouble from the engine.
i am fearing the worst now =[ i am on fleabay looking for rods and bits already

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just had a look at an injector removal guide and i was just wondering if i can just un do the nut that holds the pipe in, or is there a small valve inside the injector itself.
i dont really fancy trying to pull all of the injector out as it seems like a hell of a job, and the van is at my friends house so away from all my tools and need to get it moved asap really

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hi ya, you don't disassemble the injectors unless they wont come out, there is a clamp with a torx bolt in it at the side of the injector that you have to undo to remove them.
Doing anything to the van is going to involve a fair bit of labour, as i said before just turn it over with a spanner on the crank pulley and see if there is any reistance, if there is then it has ingested water and it will need draining otherwise you might have got away with it.
There is a proper way to do all these things which is why when you put it in a garage it costs a lot money so you have a choice of getting it back to your home, towing it to a garage or chancing that nothing is damaged and try and start it, the choice is totally down to you and all we can do is offer advice and support.
You have the facts of what could have happened to the engine and what to do if you are going to do the job correctly the rest is up to you

Cheers and good luck Martin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i removed the glow plugs in the end and gave it a few hand cracks then spun it up with the starter put it all back together, well not the intercooler or the airbox as i think they will be filled with water and it started and idled and then i left it for 15mins running just to dry off any other water then drove the 20miles home very very slowly.

i had a small amount of steam coming from the pipe that goes into the airbox, i have got the airline now gently blowing thru the intercooler pipe to hopefully dry it.

it felt very lacking in power but this might be down the the cloth i had over the inlet and some of the sensors are not connected.

any other advice to make sure its all good.

and thank you very much for all the advice,

i unscrewed the glow plugs with a small 1/4 socket set as i was worrid about shearing them off but they all came out easy =]

·
Registered
v230
78 Posts
if you were driving with the intercooler disconnected it will be lacking power, i would remove the intercooler and pipe work and drain just to be on the safe side but once airbox, inlet pipes, intercooler have been drained then all should be good to connect and drive as per usual and if all is good you were very lucky indeed, glad you removed the glow plugs as i cant see why they should sheer off as the replaceable service items but good job!!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
if you were driving with the intercooler disconnected it will be lacking power, i would remove the intercooler and pipe work and drain just to be on the safe side but once airbox, inlet pipes, intercooler have been drained then all should be good to connect and drive as per usual and if all is good you were very lucky indeed, glad you removed the glow plugs as i cant see why they should sheer off as the replaceable service items but good job!!!
The glow plugs on vito's have a very bad name especially on the cdi's and will shear off for a pastime, most people leave them well alone when they pack up as they are not required for starting unlike on the d series and are not worth taking a chance on

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
put it all back together yesterday and drove 40miles, i cant tell if its lost any power as i dont normaly drive in trainers, but all seems good =]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts