Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
W211 E280 Soon!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

I am new here. Just sold my 2005 BMW E60 520i and waiting for my new MB W211 E280 (3.0).

I am thinking of installing an iPod integration kit, but the dealer said it was impossible; the head unit must be changed. The car is equipped with Audio 20 CD.

After searching the internet, I found out that Euro Spec Audio 20 CD does not have aux in which makes it impossible to be connected to MB OEM iPod intergration kit.

My question: How do I find out whether I have Euro Spec Audio 20 or not?

Thanks a lot all, any reply is highly appreciated.

Regards,
WNS

PS: I live in Jakarta, Indonesia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Audio 20 + ipod

I too have an Audio 20 and it is correct that an ipod integration is not possible on it precisely for the reason you mentioned. I considered a head unit upgrade, but that came out way too expensive. I ended up installing a dension gateway 500 unit and the experience has been mostly positive. Installation and enabling it (at the dealer) was a bit of a pain, but worked eventually. You get excellent sound quality, a usb input, a ipod-specific input which allows you control the ipod through the radio/steering wheel (and I think also charges the ipod), and a normal AUX input. If I recall correctly earlier ipod versions may not be supported. The only annoying problem I've had with it is that when I unlock the car, the dension device switches on by itself and resumes playing, requiring extra effort to switch off the radio every time. Overall it cost me approximately 500 Euro.

·
Registered
W211 E280 Soon!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dension GW 500 Installation

Lareff...

Thanks for the insight. I just bought the Dension GW 500. I am convincing my dealer to install it for me, hopefully they will do it. BTW, based on your experience, what would be the best way to tap power for the GW500? I heard from Dension that the GW500 needs continuous power.

Thanks,
WNS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lareff...

Thanks for the insight. I just bought the Dension GW 500. I am convincing my dealer to install it for me, hopefully they will do it. BTW, based on your experience, what would be the best way to tap power for the GW500? I heard from Dension that the GW500 needs continuous power.

Thanks,
WNS
How's it goin Convert!

You might want to check the headunit from E280 Edition 9. I believe it has both Ipod AUX and bluetooh but not sure on how much

·
Registered
W211 E280 Soon!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Imaleke... It's goin quite OK.. thank you..

I already got the Dension GW 500 and the dealer agreed to install it for me on Wednesday this week. The Dension GW 500 cost me GBP392.80 including shipping to Jakarta.

Will see how it is going to turn out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lareff...

Thanks,
WNS
Hey man,
I didn't do the installation myself, I just watched the installation. The tech took out the radio and soldered some wires from the GW500 to the wires leading to the radio input. I can only assume it was the power supply, so you are probably correct.

I had a problem the first time I went to a benz dealer to unlock the CDC, since the GW500 was not immediately recognized (sometimes it works immediately sometimes not I was told). The dealer spent 1,5 hours trying to unlock it, but was unsuccessful. Pissed off, I went to the shop once again and they sent me to another "affiliated" MB dealer nearby, where the CDC was unlocked in about 5 minutes. I still don't know what the trick was unfortunately. Good luck!

·
Registered
W211 E280 Soon!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,

Finally the Dension GW 500 is installed and running well despite I'm still learning how to play with it as Audio 20 is not text capable - hard to know where you are in iPod.

However, I need to go back to the dealer tomorrow as they forgot to install the USB cable.

Thanks to all of you for all the insights...

WNS

·
Registered
64 Posts
hi howz ur new audio system going ?? any problems in installing or afterwords ??? howz the radio and cd quality ?? does it have navigation also ???
Hi Imaleke... It's goin quite OK.. thank you..

I already got the Dension GW 500 and the dealer agreed to install it for me on Wednesday this week. The Dension GW 500 cost me GBP392.80 including shipping to Jakarta.

Will see how it is going to turn out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts