Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 Luxury..Plus a 94 Taurus SHO, 95 Reg Cab Eddie Bauer F150 302, 00 Explorer XLT 4wd
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a W210 and love that to bits.. But can't find a decent 4matic to save face (or one I can afford)...
I have located several ML320's and like them alot... I found what I feel is the perfect one, a 1999 Base Model, but it had almost no records, but has some stuff noted on the car fax and is a one owner... It has roughly 142K miles on it and looks to be in good shape... I didn't have time to drive it today, but will tomorrow.....

I am going through the stickies and such now... I have read 1998-1999 where bad years to buy from some, others have no issues.. So I am confused...

I am trying to stay under the $7,500 range and this is a second car for me (mainly to be used during the wetter months here in Portland)...

What appeals to me with this 1999 is it has cloth seats, almost zero options and its just a basic ML320... Which I like..

Any thoughts and feelings will be appriceated... I will get a PPI done too...

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
My advice would be to shop around a bit longer to see if you can find an ML320 with power heated and leather seats bc thats the main option on these cars and make sure it has ESP because when it snows it really helps the control.And personally when im buying a car i look to find for anything that is wrong with the car so i can negotiate the price. there is a couple of things to look for before you buy it the most important is to get a service record to see what was serviced on the truck. Inspect the engine under for any oil leaks. Check the sterring system if its straight and it has no play make sure there is no engine or other codes lights on.Check the suspension for any noises when you test drive it.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Luxury..Plus a 94 Taurus SHO, 95 Reg Cab Eddie Bauer F150 302, 00 Explorer XLT 4wd
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My advice would be to shop around a bit longer to see if you can find an ML320 with power heated and leather seats bc thats the main option on these cars and make sure it has ESP because when it snows it really helps the control.And personally when im buying a car i look to find for anything that is wrong with the car so i can negotiate the price. there is a couple of things to look for before you buy it the most important is to get a service record to see what was serviced on the truck. Inspect the engine under for any oil leaks. Check the sterring system if its straight and it has no play make sure there is no engine or other codes lights on.Check the suspension for any noises when you test drive it.
I actually like the non power seats better my self... LOL... Drove the truck today, seems quite nice... Has reciepts and paperwork (and I thought it didn't) was a trade in at there lot, not an auction car either.. Has been to MB dealers for all service per car fax... It does have 166K, not 145K

Torn.. Seems like the perfect car, but the dealership is kinda, ehhh. But for $4,800...

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
81 Posts
I would wait and look around a little bit. I got my 2000 Ml320 for $4,800 with 151,xxx miles on it. It had one owner before me, all service done at MB Dealer. Perfect condition. Just look around a little bit longer and you'll find a good deal

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Definitely shop around. It took me 5 months to find one and I ended up with 98 320. I had my cash handy and was looking at a lot newer ones but this one was cherry compared to others even with higher mileage. Other than one Ml55 I semi regret not buying the rest all had problems that would not be cheap to fix. And the owners all still wanted top dollar. There were a few real good ones including a 2004 where I had made a deal and the *insert dirty word* owners sold them out from under me.

If your mechanic doing the ppi for you knows what to look for then if everything works on that 320 why not buy it. I was terrified of just how bad the early ones were or how much the parts cost. Then I did a head to head comparison of a Ford Explorer of the same years I was surprised to see how much worse the Ford was for reliability and that if you shop around the parts for the ML can be a lot cheaper. My old Bronco ate brakes around town and using good grade rotors the ml parts were 50% of the fords. Anyway statistically the worst year ML is actually the 2001. The 98 and 99 are quite a bit better. The 99 was one of the best years up to about 2005. That was from the NTSA database. Very surprising as that really contradicts the anecdotal evidence. And the best thing is the worst year is still better than the majority of most other vehicles! So I think it comes down to how well your 99 was cared for.

I went with the electric heated leather. My only regret is not finding the memory seats as I have to hold down the button :) I'm 6`1 and my wife is 5'2 so getting in after she drives is like trying to fit in a clown car. On manual seats I have to slide the seat back from the outside as I could not get in. On this I can reach in start and push the button. Also the leather is rather comfortable. We had 100° days this summer and I never experienced any leather sticking or being hot etc unlike other cars.

·
Registered
1998 ml-320 stock,oem bug deflector, nerf bars, leather gray upholstery, delivery date 25 nov 97
682 Posts
re

if you are really set on getting the ML320

recommendations

Write down the vin number

Go to a MB dealership and get the service history of the vehicle ( its free )

inform them there is only 1 key with the vehicle and you want to know how many more keys are available. You only get 8 then it is a new AAM and key which will set you back approx 450 for the AAM ,160 for the key , and they might try to get you to re key all 4 door locks and the ignition switch . Labor is extra !

After you purchase the ML take your registration card along with driver's license ( to verify ownership ) and get the radio code. If you disconnect the battery you will need this code to enter into the radio before it will work. Its an anti theft thing .

If you ask the parts person nicely they may let you have a copy of the VMI = Vehicle Master Inquiry at the very least they will let you read it then give it back as it is supposed to be for MB internal use only.

And what ever you do DO NOT leave the key in the ignition switch when attaching or removing battery cables OR when you are in the process of attaching or removing jumper cables to the ML . It will cause key/AAM issues and the ML will not start !!

I know from experience if the battery goes dead or has a dead cell in it it can cause a no synch between the key and the AAM

Also if you are gonna charge the battery remove both battery cables from the battery and then charge the battery . Don't forget NO KEY in the ignition during this process !

I would recommend purchasing a transmission dip stick as the ML320 did not come with one . You can get them from ebay around 25-35 bucks. they go for 80 at the dealership.

and last but not least READ the owners manual ! If ther is not one with the ML one can be downloaded from this forum for free.

You will find a great bunch of guys on this forum and they are willing to help and provide information on the ML

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

CNB aka Carolina New Be

1 - 6 of 6 Posts