Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320 1987 560SL
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go look at the new ML price list on the MB German site. Look at how almost all the options are unbundled. None of this “if you want a garage door opener you have to order the convenience package which is only available if you get the premium package which also requires a sunroof, meaning that a $200 option costs $6000 to get it (I’m sort of making this up, but you know what I mean). We are talking about vehicles built in the US for delivery in Europe. Look at all the varieties of cell phones they have! (not that I would want one) Now when those godless sons of motherless goats, the MB marketing folk make up the US price list for European vehicles for sale in the US we are told that individual options would cost too much to build and packages are the only way to build the cars economically. BS! The make large option packages for US customers only because they can, it has nothing to do with economics a part from that which lines their evil pockets. I think this is but another sad fact which reveals how out of touch MB is with the American market. Go look at the US luxury car leader (Lexus), do you see long option lists? Nope. Typically just a few electronic upgrades, a sport package and maybe 4wd. Everything is standard. Porsche allows customers the world over to custom order cars in fairly large numbers and still makes a profit. The new German 164 price list reveals that MB could do the same for US consumers. MB, why not start? Today would be soon enough.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The answere is costs!
An 2006 ML 350 has a baseprice of 54.210 USD in Germany while the price in the US is about 43.000 USD.
And a a base german ML 350 does not even have roofrails. They carge you 335 USD just for this!
The COMAND as well costs 2.884 USD in Germany, while in the US its about 1.200 USD!!
So I am quite sure the sons of the of motherless goats actually live in Stuttgart!!
But if you want, we can export them as well to the US...[:)]

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
If you can get a garage opening mirror for $200 then put me down for a few. It needs to have phone and dimming as a bonus.

·
Registered
2000 ML320 1987 560SL
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ansan, from what you have said, it looks like Europeans and Americans alike are getting it in the shorts. I wonder how long it will take the Japanese to build enough plants to affect the situation?

Miroj if you are handy the URL below give you access to the module alone. Its price is somewhere around $200 and is available in several colors. It is the same module used by several manufacturers.

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/search.php?substring=homelink

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Hi,

Unfortunately my W163 pricelist (which included the garage door opener) sits on my office computer, so I can't tell you how much it was separately.

On the European W164, however, this is no longer an option at all, so thanks, ccweems, for the link.

Cheers,
Birger

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Hi,

The latest W163 pricelist for Luxembourg quoted the garage door opener at 228 EUR before tax - would have been a very nice option to have on the W164 w/o recurring to aftermarket solutions or trying to get the corresponding parts as apares from the US (at considerable $$$$$).

Cheers,
Birger

·
Registered
2000 ML320 1987 560SL
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Homelink

The module supplier at the URL above is in Houston (I have been to a wholsale site, but forgot where). Should there be a big need for Homelink modules for 164 owners I expect I can help out. Drew can't remain the only source of MB aftermarket parts![:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts