Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 years ago, I purchased a safe, reliable and slow 1995 E300D for my son whom was 17 years old. Purchased it from the original elderly owners whom were impeccable with its maintenance and recored keeping. It had 105k miles then. Today it has 140k miles with all the maintenance and records kept. I put a lot of time keeping this car running well.

Earlier this week the car was involved in an accident to the front passenger corner. No injuries. Due to the low value of these cars, it would likely be totaled by an insurance company. I do not plan to claim it.

So, to my question. The car still runs, seems to have a radiator leak (was not driven after accident) and is certainly repairable. I do not know what to do with it. Sell it to a junkyard? List it here or on craigslist? Car runs very well and everything works except for the radio antenna. AC is arctic cold. I know this is considered a low mileage motor/drivetrain.

Any thoughts on value?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I doubt you could buy another vehicle that nice for what it would cost to repair it..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt you could buy another vehicle that nice for what it would cost to repair it..
While I agree, it will cost a few thousand $ to fix this. Hood, bumper, radiator, grille, and many little parts like hood latch, whatever is causing it to not turn. Paintwork, labor, alignment, etc. All of that, then it is still a 24 year old car that is slow, not interesting to a 22 year old guy, and a "granny's car".

make your kid buy his own car next time, maybe he'll appreciate it more.
Or you could not judge my decision to buy my son a $5000 car that served him well for 6 years. Well worth my investment and didn't cause him any real expenses during a time when he was in school and starting a career. We got our money's worth, for sure. Next car is on him and he is ready for that.

My question was what to do with it. I appreciate the responses to fix and keep. But that isn't an option. I don't have the time to do that (despite having the ability). Maybe my question would be better stated to ask "how to best get rid of it". I hate to see it in a pick'n'pull.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Well....of course the logical answer is to part it out; every piece worth cataloging. Probably get way more than its street value that way. Kind of a time whore, but you and your son provide the labor.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I would perform whatever work is necessary for it to safely start, run, and drive. Then list it for sale for someone who wants to handle the cosmetics. If its a "pig in a poke" (not running or driveable) you can expect nothing more than $300-400 for it.

This reminds me of an old joke. A guy buys his kid a brand new Camaro. The kid has an accident three weeks later and totals it. Back to the dealership goes the father with the insurance money in hand and buys another new Camaro for the kid. Three weeks later, you guessed it, the kid wraps the car around a pole. Back to the dealership goes Dad with the insurance money and the salesman asks "another new Camaro huh?" "No" says Dad. "This time I only need a car that lasts three weeks".

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Did you have comprehensive coverage? If you don't, list it on craigslist and hope for the best.

Pick & Pull will give you less than $100 for it. If you have the time and space, you can part it out. You will probably recover the most money this way, but it's time consuming and a hassle.

I wouldn't waste money getting it running. You will be just throwing good money after bad.

I was in your exact situation and ended up parting my car after no takers on craigslist. Pick and Pull gave me only $58 for what was left....... including a good engine and transmission with only 112K miles (I didn't have the space to store it). I did recover the Blue Book value of my car (99' CLK320) though.....which wasn't much :(

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
My question was what to do with it. I appreciate the responses to fix and keep. But that isn't an option. I don't have the time to do that (despite having the ability). Maybe my question would be better stated to ask "how to best get rid of it". I hate to see it in a pick'n'pull.
Repairing will cost more than the car is worth, and since you say it isn't an option to keep it... I would offer it for sale as a parts car. Someone else may want to buy it as-is and either repair it, or part it out. Junkyards/scrapyards will only offer you $100-$200 or so. Given the condition, I'd expect you could get quite a bit more just posting it for sale as-is. Make sure to include pictures of the interior. Post on MB forums and/or Craigslist. Also depends on quickly you need it gone...

:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
While I agree, it will cost a few thousand $ to fix this. Hood, bumper, radiator, grille, and many little parts like hood latch, whatever is causing it to not turn. Paintwork, labor, alignment, etc. All of that, then it is still a 24 year old car that is slow, not interesting to a 22 year old guy, and a "granny's car".

Or you could not judge my decision to buy my son a $5000 car that served him well for 6 years. Well worth my investment and didn't cause him any real expenses during a time when he was in school and starting a career. We got our money's worth, for sure. Next car is on him and he is ready for that.

Avoid the hassle of parting it out and donate it to a charity (cars for kids, make a wish, cancer. etc). Unless you need the money, the ensuing warm fuzzy feeling will be well worth it.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Avoid the hassle of parting it out and donate it to a charity (cars for kids, make a wish, cancer. etc). Unless you need the money, the ensuing warm fuzzy feeling will be well worth it.
Yes its a great way to solve this problem and help others too. In reality the car is only worth $300-400 as it is so there really isn't much upside to selling it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
6 years ago, I purchased a safe, reliable and slow 1995 E300D for my son whom was 17 years old. Purchased it from the original elderly owners whom were impeccable with its maintenance and recored keeping. It had 105k miles then. Today it has 140k miles with all the maintenance and records kept. I put a lot of time keeping this car running well.

Earlier this week the car was involved in an accident to the front passenger corner. No injuries. Due to the low value of these cars, it would likely be totaled by an insurance company. I do not plan to claim it.

So, to my question. The car still runs, seems to have a radiator leak (was not driven after accident) and is certainly repairable. I do not know what to do with it. Sell it to a junkyard? List it here or on craigslist? Car runs very well and everything works except for the radio antenna. AC is arctic cold. I know this is considered a low mileage motor/drivetrain.

Any thoughts on value?
View attachment 2605007

Any damage to the R/F Fender where the intake "slits" are located? Garaged?Original paint? If any re-paint...when? Major issues where repair was needed? Type/Brand of oil used? All records available?
this could still be a useful vehicle. I have 423K with

·
Registered
3 Posts
Few more questions: Does it run?.... Any damage to radiator, condenser, frame, or pressure lines? What were the circumstances of the collision....speed? Airbag deploy?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any thoughts on value?

Repair it yourself.

Any thoughts on value?
View attachment 2605007

Contact Carguts (864) 839-2788, 360 Ossee St., Blacksburg, SC 29702.

I own a 1994 300CE Convertible, 1988 300CE hardtop, 1999 C280 and I get a lot of parts from Carguts. They have the lowest prices in the US!

Hood $150 (they have a black one, so you don’t have to paint it.

Headlight assembly $95

Radiator support $100

They don’t show a front bumper, but you should be able to get one for about $100-150

You can get all of the parts that you need for less than $600 and it looks like you should be able to install them yourself.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
This thread is becoming a case history of why mobile access will kill forums like Benzworld.

Q. Does it run?
A. The OP said yes in the opening post and it runs very well

Q. Any damage to the radiator?
A. The OP said yes in the opening post.

Q Any damage to the condensor, or pressure lines?
A. The OP said the A/C is arctic cold so no damage to pressure lines.

You could chalk this up to just not reading but I suspect that since you can't really read much on a smartphone, no one does.

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
^This X 100. The whole mobile web surfing thing is like trying to watch in a Imax movie through a periscope.

No way, no how you can replicate the experience of a 40" display onto a 5 or 6 inch screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Any thoughts on value?
View attachment 2605007

Do you have any more pictures under the hood ? Is radiator /condensor damaged? Probably needs a upper radiator support. How many miles on it? It looks like it would be a fairly easy fix. Probably will need a slight pull on frame machine. Get parts at pull-a part or LKQ -will be pretty cheap, frame machine use $500.00 ? If the rest of car is nice, I would fix it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the delayed answers.

I looked at it for the first time the other evening. Hood is gone. But it looks like the only fluid that leaked is power steering fluid. The power steering line was severed and fluid spewed all over. Not sure if the condenser or radiator were punctured as I cannot open the hood. No airbags were deployed. The fenders are undamaged.

I'll tow it to my remote garage and replace some parts over time. I think it is fixable with junkyard parts. Finding a black 94/95 hood won't be easy but I may eventually find it.

It will certainly be worth a lot more running and fixed than now. Thanks for your advice and suggestions. If anyone is interested in purchasing it 'as-is', contact me at my username at gmail.com.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts