Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW X5 / 07' 55k coming
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called MBUSA today and asked about final production of the G. Guy tells me that the dealer can still order the G..! Ok, fine, however he says that they/MBUSA have not fully determined if and when the G will end.

YES, I know the new "G" is being finalized, but I wonder if they will run the current car a little longer until the new G arrives..?

Anyone heard anything..? I will try to find out more this week. Any info would be appreciated though..?

Ps..I am not saying it's coming back for 06' but from what the guy told me, and believe me I questioned him twice on it, the decision has NOT been made. Who knows..?

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
heard a few different dealers saying they may keep making the G in a stripped down version.. you get motor trans, axles, lockers, and that is about it. For the true die hard they said. So i said if they make ill take one! With the luck i have had i will never have a problem if they remove 95% of the electrical stuff.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Kerr - 3/30/2005 11:28 AM

heard a few different dealers saying they may keep making the G in a stripped down version.. you get motor trans, axles, lockers, and that is about it. For the true die hard they said. So i said if they make ill take one! With the luck i have had i will never have a problem if they remove 95% of the electrical stuff.
That would be great. How much will it cost do you think?

It might be time to look for a Unimog...

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
no clue on what it would cost. i mean it cant be that much thought. the leather, heated seats, navi, stereo, all the power crap.. that stuff ads up in a hurry!

I mean a rubicon is almost the same as a G, and its $32,000 loaded. so probaby 50 or so... but for those of that have one with a few miles we might as use the one we have they there value has dropped.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
g270cdi

as i recall the SWB stripped g270cdi was in the 40-50k range. Seems entirely unlikely, but then again they offered a knock down v6 cayenne after selling all the fancy ones.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Well it would be an excellent way for Mercedes-Benz to keep the G alive (until a newer model comes) and make it more available to those of us in the states.

The rest of the world has seen G's since they began production. Only a few of us in the USA really knew what the G was before 2000. After being WOWed by the $130K+ sticker for a pre-MBUSA Benz, Mercedes wised up and offered the G500 "officially" to the North American market in 2002 with a $78K sticker price.

In reality, the auto market in the USA has "officially" only seen the G500 for three years. It's wishful thinking at best, but perhaps they should offer a stripped down version of the current G500. Something with MB-Tex, automatic transmission, manual temperature controls, etc. If not, (as much as I hate to say it) then there are still plenty of other G's out there for those who want them.

I know we've beaten this to death but it would be nice to hear some kind of response from MB.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
BrentG500 - 3/30/2005 2:26 PM

I know we've beaten this to death but it would be nice to hear some kind of response from MB.
Why not call or write them? They certainly don't read these forums.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
because when you call you get some person on the phone making $8.00 a hour that think your rich prick complaining about the $80K car you bought.

Back when i had all my door problems the lady was all yea sorry, that happens, you need to relax... So when i ask her how she would feel if she had bought a $80K home and her front door didnt open she was all like OH.. i see your point now. Anyway mb 1800 number is nothing but a way to screan calls. you call them they call your dealer. never goes any further...

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Kerr - 3/30/2005 3:11 PM

because when you call you get some person on the phone making $8.00 a hour that think your rich prick complaining about the $80K car you bought.

Back when i had all my door problems the lady was all yea sorry, that happens, you need to relax... So when i ask her how she would feel if she had bought a $80K home and her front door didnt open she was all like OH.. i see your point now. Anyway mb 1800 number is nothing but a way to screan calls. you call them they call your dealer. never goes any further...
It doesn't do any more -and probably less - good to go onandonandon about it here. You're preachin' to the choir!

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
DUTCH - 3/30/2005 2:21 PM
It doesn't do any more -and probably less - good to go onandonandon about it here. You're preachin' to the choir!
Dutch, what's up with you lately?? You're becoming as bitchy as me.[:D]

·
Registered
2006 BMW X5 / 07' 55k coming
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well folks, if MBUSA and Europe had a clue, they would indeed offer a one off model for 06' ala: Defender 90 style. Price it at $40-45K and of course make it a convertible. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Dutch, as for calling or wondering if any of the MBUSA folks look at the boards, I can tell you they do. I know this for a fact. However who knows really how much difference it makes.

I will as I said before try to ascertain more info as to the real G story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts