Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 E320. It was equiped with a startac phone, and I have not changed over yet, but I have bought a Mikbox and a Verizon v710 phone. My problem was that the whole fibre optic system stopped working about 16 months ago. I pulled the phone handle on the steering column and nothing. The CDC kept saying "no cd changer" etc, etc. Yesterday I pulled the car out of the garage and we heard a noise like the serpentine belt squeeking, then it stopped after about 2 minutes. When my wife brought the car back that night she said there was a strange message on the radio, and that the squeek started again when she started it. I walked down to the bottom of the driveway to drive the car into the garage (too much ice for her), and I pulled the phone lever and it started going thru all the numbers I had stored in it! I pushed the CD button and the CD started playing! I do not have the old startac or my new phone connected yet, so I do not know if they would also work. So----after all that story I have no idea what happened, but everything works again as if by magic. Anybody have any idea what is going on??

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
You probably have a loose connection in your fiber optic loop; any break in the loop will take the whole loop down. You can go to the phone bulletin for your car at Phone Bulletins to see where the connectors are.

Your StarTac setup may function electronically; but no service provider will accept the StarTac phone on its network any more, because it is not GPS capable. In addition, your '00 likely has a single-band linear compensator and antenna switch, which will not allow digital signals to pass; only analog. The entire analog cellular network in the U.S. was taken down in February of 2008 - so you have no way to connect using the StarTac.

If you go ahead with the MikBox installation, you will also want to replace your linear compensator with a dual band model. That will allow the digital frequencies to pass (your V710 is both analog and digital, and the digital side will continue to work). You need not replace the antenna switch - just bypass it (your tele-Aid system that connects to other side of the antenna switch is also analog and therefore will no longer work).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skylaw, your inputs are always appreciated. The system is still working, but I will go thru all the connectors to check for a loose one, then I can go ahead and make those changes you are suggesting and finally get my telephone working again. After many months!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
You are welcome.

If the dual band linear compensator is too difficult to locate, you might want to go to the Universal PSE/Cradle Replacer cable used in combination with the V60 Bluetooth puck. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1313173-how-guide-cell-phone-upgrades-plug.html, especially the second post. While you're checking connections, look at your PSE; if it's "Blue Label" you don't even have to replace it with the Universal PSE.

Plus, your V710 is a Bluetooth phone, so you don't even have to replace it. My V710 is an MB-branded phone, and I paired it today using the MHI Bluetooth puck - phone book downloaded perfectly, calls were great (even in a weak signal area). I'm not sure how your non MB V710 will behave with the V60 puck, but you should at least be able to place and receive calls.

Unfortunately, the other thing that can take a fiber optic loop down is a malfunctioning component on the loop. It would take some troubleshooting to identify which was at fault. Still, connections are the first thing to try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts