Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL / 02' G500
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked at a 2000 ML55 the other day that shows 45,000Kms on the odometer. Thing looks clean enough but what concerns me is the brake rotors front and rear appear to be ready for replacement with the next brake job. I was unable see how much material remained on the pads. Thinking someone had their way with the odometer but wanted to check with some of you 55 owners to see if the brake rotors on these things were prone to wearing quickly. I do remember woking for BMW back in the late 80's early 90's and the M5's would go through front brakes at about this mileage. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,750 Posts
45,000km=27,961 miles for a twelve year old vehicle ?

See if you can find ANY previous documentation on service and note the mileage on receipts. IF that mileage is accurate, the ML55 should be pristine in all respects. Quite a find if accurate, but I agree with you.....something ain't quite right.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I agree with springfever.

Something is very odd indeed.

That 12 year old ML55 may be of low mileage because its spent so much time in the shop.

It doesn't happen to be green does it?

I know a member on here who used to own a green ML55 - It gave him hell.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note using AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposedly the ML had been tied up in the court system for about 7 years. Its not the green one and yes its not the best to leave a car inactive for that period of time. The car does run and the Bailiff company handling the car has replaced the fuel pump and O2 sensors X4. Just trying to get my head around the amount a wear on the rotors for such a short period of time.

·
Registered
2000 ML320; engine number 30 633407; last 6 VIN 172300
363 Posts
What makes you say the rotors look like they are ready for replacement? You can't make that call visually without measuring their thickness. Is that what you did?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Is that the black one at "R"?

If it is they have been trying to sell that one for a long time and have only recently started to get close to market on the price. Still a couple of grand high though the last time I looked at it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What makes you say the rotors look like they are ready for replacement? You can't make that call visually without measuring their thickness. Is that what you did?
I ran a Euro repair shop for 16 years we specialized in early Benz, Porsche and BMW so I have seen my fair share of rotors this is not a small ridge you feel with a thumb nail. My problem is I have seen the BMW's chew rotors and pads at low Km's but this in my opinion is a little extreme hence I was hoping someone may remember back to when the bought their 55 how long it was until a brake service was needed and I do understand driving style plays a big part.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that the black one at "R"?

If it is they have been trying to sell that one for a long time and have only recently started to get close to market on the price. Still a couple of grand high though the last time I looked at it.
No, I was unaware of a black one here in town

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well..... The 55 and a 430 now live in my driveway. A friend of mine is an X Bailiff and did some digging on the 55 and as it turns out she is legit. Car has been tied up in the court system from 2004 and mileage confirmed. So I bought it and a 7 passenger 430 I've had my eye on, needless to say there is no shortage of W163's around here. Drove the 55 somewhat cautiously today as it has been in hibernation for a bit.. Well price was defiantly worth the admission. Now to deal with the o2 sensor code and clean the bloody thing. Thanks guys and I will now be on this board as well the R129 board.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts