Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll let the anticipation build. Pictures tommorow :)

Anyone want to take a guess as to what is coming home?

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
Another 300D? :D
Diesel Coupe?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you guys will see soon.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
A W123 bodied 400CDI ;)

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
Hmm euro coupe......

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, it is home.

The new car is a 79 300d euro 4 speed!
It is my new project car and I hope to have it done by the end of summer

So it is china blue with a light ivory (burlap) interior and rear headrests. The paint is pretty tired but I think it will clean up nicely. There are two little rust spots and a few places where the paint has broken off. The interior needs a lot of work. I paln to find a decent parts car and put in all new seats as the drivers is pretty beat and the back is just plain dirty. The dash has a few cracks but they really aren't too bad. The car has a factory replacement motor but I don't know how many miles are on it (but it does have the replacement tag). The transmission shifts smooth and the car is just as powerfull as my other with very little blow by and very little smoke.

The car will be a project and I intend to bring it back to glory. I will need the new seats, a new front euro bumper and a little bit of paint/body work done, mainly to get rid of the rust. The car is a strong runner and for the price it was a steal: $650

I will post pictures later this evening. I am going to give her a bath and a good detail to see what is left in the paint. I am also going to put on the US spec headlights from my other euro because the us lights on this car are trash. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,701 Posts
hmmm was this a craigslist find?

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,701 Posts
i guess cali has more euros floating around then i thought.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Good find! We need pics :D You got the anticipation up, I'm sure the rest are begging for pics (no mud pics pls!).

Question: Why put US lights on a Euro car?

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
Congratulations on the new car.......We want to see the car....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I've done some detailing of the paint and am far from finished. I'll probably have it mostly done by thursday evening. It is actually coming out pretty nice.

The car came (to me) with us lights but the white fogs were cracked and only one of the sealed beams worked. I switched them out for the US lights I took off of the 81 euro. The bezels are still a little cracked, but it still looks ok. If I can find a cheap pair of euro lights, I will grab them and put them on. I would prefer the round style for this car.

Turns out I won't be able to unbolt the bumper. The impact pushed it in and the bracket collapsed and I can't get to the bolt. I plan on leaving it on there untill I find another decent bumper and a saw will remove the current one.

As far as the pictures go, remember that car was only washed twice during its last 30,000 miles.

The motor is very dirty and all of the air filter mounts are gone! I can pick it off the intake manifold! I need to do brakes as well and will need the valves adjusted

Ok, here are the pictures from when I brought it home. She is DIRTY!

Check out that sweet interior. I'm ready for some new seats:

And here is what a little deatailing can do (those are paint chips by the star :( ):

It is amazing, on the un-detailed side you can't even see your reflection in the paint. On the other side it is pretty clear.

Once it is all done I will take photos of it besides her three brothers. Red, beige and blue. :D

I hope you guys like her. She will be a project but it will be so worth it.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Now you need to get a driver to bring that car to the next GTG.

Don't tell me you just got the car for the trailer hitch :D

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, no but that was a bonus. I don't plan on driving this car for 2-3 months as it is fixed both cosmetically and mechanically. I suppose if we are having a GTG in September I'll see what I can do to have it there. I'm thinking the Penta's will look good.

Notice the beast tires (215-75 r14)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hey I just noticed, your windshield washer (passenger side) has two nozzles. On my sedan, the left has two while the right side only has one.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting, I've never actually noticed that. This car is a blast to drive. Even though the non-turbos are slower on the highways they are pretty quick off the line. It feels so good actually being able to choose the gear. If the motor dies, a turbo is going in :)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
What color is it? Doesn't look like petrol green, nor blue.

I thought your red was a stick also?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts