Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after replacing chain, guides, tensioner and oilers and describing in another thread the leaking driver's side valve cover I go back in and meticulously take everything off, clean and replace gasket and cover. Success! Or so I thought. When I went to start it the car idled badly and ran even worse. Drove it around the block thinking it would work its way out. Started smelling burning plastic and when I opened the hood smoke billowed out. What now? I went over everything I touched and noticed that as careful as I was somehow two of the plug wires got reversed. Fixed that and the car runs as it should. Question. What the heck could have been burning and am I lucky to have shut the motor off in time or do I have a ticking time bomb here? Somewhere in another thread I read about the EZL-could that be the part in question? The burning seemed to come from below the driver's manifold. Or could I have somehow just dropped a piece of plastic on the manifold (have no clue what) and it started melting?

Bob

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
100 Posts
No matter how careful I am, whenever I've pulled a valve cover from the 560, some oil always finds its was to places that get hot upon re-start. The smoke from the burning oil would make you think that there was a damn fire, but it only lasts for a few minutes. Shortly after, all is normal again. At least that's been my experience.

John

·
Registered
1986 560SL
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It definitely smelled of plastic-no doubt about it. I had sprayed the mainfold with degreaser to clean up the oil that inevitably drips down as you pop the cover so there was very little of that residue.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,354 Posts
The EZL is tucked under the fender near the driver's side headlight.
And if it was burning you wouldn't likely be running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts