Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes has all these GL320CDI's coming into the U.S. How hard would it be to throw a couple G320CDI's on the boat? If the engine is approved for import in the GL, then why not the G?

·
Registered
BRABUS G36 & G320 LWB
694 Posts
Tuscaloosa County Alabama, USA

Der Fliegende Holländer said:
They're not "coming into" the U.S. They're made in the U.S. - Vance/Tuscaloosa, Alabamistan.

Gwagen Forum,

Tuscaloosa County Alabama, USA: Mercedes-Benz U.S. International

Respectfully,

James Van Thach

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Der Fliegende Holländer said:
They're not "coming into" the U.S. They're made in the U.S. - Vance/Tuscaloosa, Alabamistan.

Maybe I'm being hard headed but even though they're made here, aren't the engines the same and therefore wouldn't a G320CDI be relatively easy to get EPA/DOT/or whatever approval is required?

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
I spoke with Russ (from Europa) about this in detail. Every Truck / Engine pair have to be certified in the USA. Even though the G-Wagon Truck has been tested & approved, and the 320cdi engine has been tested & approved, they have to be tested and certified together. Every single emmissions device (switch, muffler, sensor, and other items) has to be included. If any of these items are different from the GL or ML (which they would be different), it all has to be tested and certified.

This appears to be a very expensive process. If I am correct, Mercedes Benz USA used Europa's certifications in order to import G500 into the US for the MY2002+. I do not know the story behind the G55 or G55K certifications.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the end I guess it all boils down to the almighty dollar.
What a shame.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
ogrenutz said:
In the end I guess it all boils down to the almighty dollar.
What a shame.

Thanks for the info.
Well.. Russ did tell me that he would be happy to start the process, but he would require several commitments for the 320cdi. The more people that would be interested in purchasing the G320cdi, would lower the costs by splitting it up more fairly...

There would have to be enough true demand (and not just talk) for this to happen.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 Navion, 2005 Passat, 1984 280GE
7 Posts
I know, I know, if you have to ask you can't afford it. But, I'm curious - ballpark estimates of how much?

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
4bio4 said:
I know, I know, if you have to ask you can't afford it. But, I'm curious - ballpark estimates of how much?
Contact Russ at Europa...

He's the only one that can give you a real answer to that...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts