Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
: <br>: Like a bunch of other people, I've wanted a UNIMOG for a very long time. I've been trying to do my homework, but if anyone could give me some advice, I would deeply appreciate it.<p>: 1.) It appears the 404 is the way to go, either Swiss or French surplus. Is one preferable to the other?<p>: 2.) Can the framework that supports the cab and cargo canvas, along with the rear gate be unbolted, or is an intergral part to the doors, bed sides and tailgate?<p>: 3.) Who has the best UNIMOG 404's at the lowest prices? I'm on the West Coast, but I would certainly be willing to travel a bit.<p>: 4.) Some importers allow you to save money by pre-paying. Is the risk too great?<p>: 5.) Is there any special year(s) to look (or look out for) with the 404?<p>: 6.) Do the surplus Swiss and French 404's come with the M130 or M180 engine? I take it the M180 is far more desireable?<p>: 7.) Just what kind of condition are the $5000-8000.00 UNIMOG 404's in that you see advertised on the Web?<p>: 8.) Finally, does anyone make a hub-cap or wheel-cover for the 404's stock wheels?<p>: <br>: Thank you in advance for your help.<p>e-mail if you want and I will try to answer your questions.<br>Glenn [email protected]<br><br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<br>Like a bunch of other people, I've wanted a UNIMOG for a very long time. I've been trying to do my homework, but if anyone could give me some advice, I would deeply appreciate it.<p>1.) It appears the 404 is the way to go, either Swiss or French surplus. Is one preferable to the other?<p>2.) Can the framework that supports the cab and cargo canvas, along with the rear gate be unbolted, or is an intergral part to the doors, bed sides and tailgate?<p>3.) Who has the best UNIMOG 404's at the lowest prices? I'm on the West Coast, but I would certainly be willing to travel a bit.<p>4.) Some importers allow you to save money by pre-paying. Is the risk too great?<p>5.) Is there any special year(s) to look (or look out for) with the 404?<p>6.) Do the surplus Swiss and French 404's come with the M130 or M180 engine? I take it the M180 is far more desireable?<p>7.) Just what kind of condition are the $5000-8000.00 UNIMOG 404's in that you see advertised on the Web?<p>8.) Finally, does anyone make a hub-cap or wheel-cover for the 404's stock wheels?<p><br>Thank you in advance for your help.<br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: : <br>: : Like a bunch of other people, I've wanted a UNIMOG for a very long time. I've been trying to do my homework, but if anyone could give me some advice, I would deeply appreciate it.<p>: : 1.) It appears the 404 is the way to go, either Swiss or French surplus. Is one preferable to the other?<p>There are differences listed on one of the 404 mog pages- I forget who's though! Swiss units are usually in better condition since they were kept mostly underground. I prefer German or Belgium mogs- those french cab-tops look goofy! ;)<p>: : 2.) Can the framework that supports the cab and cargo canvas, along with the rear gate be unbolted, or is an intergral part to the doors, bed sides and tailgate?<p>The cab canvas folds down, or comes off rather easily. I would guess the cargo canvas somes off pretty eaily too- I dont know though I have a radio truck. The rear beds differ by country- some have removable sides and some dont. (This info is available in the unimog mailing list archives.) (run a search on the web) You may also want to sign up for the unimog mailing list. (www.topica.com hosts it) <p>: : 3.) Who has the best UNIMOG 404's at the lowest prices? I'm on the West Coast, but I would certainly be willing to travel a bit.<p>Hard to say. There are lots of good 404 dealers in california and the west coast- I know S&K expedition imports is good, and there are lots of individuals selling mogs on the mailing list<p>: : 4.) Some importers allow you to save money by pre-paying. Is the risk too great? <p>Depends on the honesty of the dealer! <p>: : 5.) Is there any special year(s) to look (or look out for) with the 404?<p>I dont think so. most 404's are 1960's- all basically the same.<p>: : 6.) Do the surplus Swiss and French 404's come with the M130 or M180 engine? I take it the M180 is far more desireable?<p>They usually have m180s. Many folks swap the m180 for an m130 if they can find one- more power! Some drop in diesels too.<p>: : 7.) Just what kind of condition are the $5000-8000.00 UNIMOG 404's in that you see advertised on the Web?<p>Right now there are Beautiful 404s for sale in that range! If you want to pay 7000-8000, you can get a great machine! Again, join the mog mailing list now!<p>: : 8.) Finally, does anyone make a hub-cap or wheel-cover for the 404's stock wheels?<p>Why would you want to cover them- they're beautiful! I don think there are such things.<p>: : <br>: : Thank you in advance for your help.<p>no problem- email me if you have more questions!<p>-Ryan Gerrish<br><br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts