Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have 2001 ML 320 with 124k.
A few days ago I noticed that when the vehicle is moving I hear not so clear sound from the rear part. Everything leads me to the fact that it probably is a bed? Please note that two years ago I replaced the central bed in the rear differential, and since then I cross 8k.
Thanks a lot!

Haris

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Haris, I would check the wheels for bad wheel bearing, usually the passanger side rear goes bad before any other wheel bearing. Also get under and shake the driveshaft to see if you can feel any play or movement in the center support bearing.
Good luck, Bernard

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
You welcome Haris,
My lasted till 154K and that is the only one out of all four that I had to replace so far.
Driveshaft support bearing went bad even sooner because it is not sealed or shielded from the back side for what reason, I have no idea, maybe to catch all the road dust from under the truck.
Bernard

·
Registered
2000 ml430
50 Posts
Hi Bernard .
Where did you order wheel bearing? Have same problem with passanger side rear wheel .
Thanks .If you remember my previous problem with ets abs break lights I finally fixed it .
It was ets computer module....
Now my car runs great . No problems , except this bearing .

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
I got mine from Autohaus. Rock Auto also has the same SKF brand bearing.
Very similar pricing. Autohaus had free shipping.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
I never use aftermarket parts on my cars, boat, dirtbikes and chainsaws. SKF and FAG are aftermarket, I went for oem NSK (France) at aftermarket's price (less then a half of dealer's cost). As a maintenance manager for one factory and two tool and die shops, handling bearing very often I called my industrial supplier. They came without the snapring (which is fine to be reused). SKF is a good brand (if they are made in Sweden or Italy) same goes for FAG (made in Germany or France) but they have to be stamped on the bearing not printed on the package.
kezsel22, you got the gps antenna from me, you know where I live, I still have 3 bearings left so if you need one, let me know.
Count on 4 hours of your time for replacement.
Month ago, I just replaced front wheel bearing on newer Honda Accord for my body, surprisingly Honda Acura Lexus and many other "top dogs" are also using NSK as OEM wheel bearings.
Bernard

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
If I remember correctly, when I was searching for them over year ago approx. price was $50 to $100 for aftermarket and $120 to $220 for oem. Bearing number 1633300051 and all 4 (front and rear) are same.
I paid $80 for oem.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
I also have a spare SKF bearing so you got me thinking. I ran down to the basement
and pulled it out of the package. Much to my surprise it said made in Germany on the
box. So I checked the stampings in the outer race and it is an NSK bearing in a SKF
package. Go figure. I am pleasantly surprised and am going to order another one just
to have as a spare as the one I have is getting installed next week. I checked my receipts
and this one came from Rock Auto. The front bearing I did last year was from Autohaus.
$53 for a NSK seems like a good price. The bearing # stamped on it is 49BWD01B.
I do not know what the Autohaus SKF stampings are, but I am 100% sure on the one
from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
1,582 Posts
In my case the noise sounded like a squeak from a brake disc pad but only occurred when the accelerator pedal was released. Finally crawled under and when I grabbed the driveshaft it shifted in the carrier about 1/4 inch. Replaced the bearing and it is fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts