Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Some service suggestions needed (Transmission, Transfer case etc)

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  remo74tg 
#1 ·
I have an 04 S500 with 194,000 miles, car is my daily driver and planning to keep the car for about another year.
I'm looking to get some maintenace service done like transmission service, transfer case, coolant and power steering service. I had the transmission done at around 110,000 miles.
My question is. Am I asking for trouble by getting transmission & transfer case service done since it hasn't been done in a while? My local dealer said he doesn't recommend transmission & transfer service because it was not performed every 50,000 miles. As of now everything is fine with the car as far as transmission goes, but I do hear a little groan kind of sound when turning and I think it could be the transfer case.
I appreciate any repleis if I should get the service done or not.

#2 ·
All of the maintenance items you listed are overdue on this car and since you'll be putting 25k more miles, I would do them. First thing for me would be the rear axle fluid.
If you're doing them yourself, lots of info can be found on the forum by searching.
Is this a 4matic?

#3 ·
Is your car 4matic? Because I don't understand why you are using the term transfer case.. If you are hearing a groaning noise while turning it could be your power steering pump.. it's a very common problem, I have the same issue right now. Many have also reported the tensioner pully can cause the same groaning issue.. when turning and putting more strain on the pump, thus pulley, making the noise.. Best way to check is use a long screw driver and put on the PS pump and hold to your ear.. be careful not to get it in the belt! It acts as a stethiscope and can help pin-point the noise.

As for transmission, many people say don't touch if it's been left alone, but you have done it at 110k so I don't think you will have any problems doing it again.. I just did mine at 107k and it's helped quite a bit.. if your trans had 200k on the original fluid, then it may be debatable.. but you should be fine.. Whether the noise is your PS pump or not you will want to check the fluid condition and level. If it is a dark green it needs to be replaced. Low/bad PS fluid has been known to make the pumps noisy. The MB fluid that should be used is about $27 a quart. You only need one. Coolant is an easy task if you are just changing the coolant itself. The drain plug is on the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side. Drain fluid and fill from expansion tank on the left side of engine bay. Use the MB coolant. You only need one, empty it into tank refill with distilled water and empty into tank again.. should only have to add a small more amount of distilled water after that.. Might as well check/change the engine oil while you are at it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.