Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently bought a Smart Pulse 600cc pre-owned, and am loving it so far. I have already installed the optional rev counter cos I like to see how I am driving.

Anyway, the questions:

1) The gear box has a (much longer than other automatics') delay when changing gears. How have others gotten used to this, or created a work around (drive around - ha ha)? Is there a way to make the gear changes smoother and quicker cos this is one aspect of the drive that I am not enjoying that much.

2) I have heard conflicting views on how "hard" to drive the car. One view is that it should be driven "delicately", ie. don't rev too high or drive too fast because the engine can't handle heavy driving. Another view is that the engine SHOULD be revved high - speedy driving is not a problem for the engine. I drive my car quite hard, and wanted to find out from experienced drivers how they drive theirs, and how reliable and strong the Smart engines, gear boxes, chassis etc. have been.

3) Some say the engine is solid and wears very well, requiring very little maintanance. Others say that the engine is "cheap" and packs up after about 120 000 km's. Any thoughts on this.

Opinions would be great, especially from those of you who have driven a Smart for a good year or two.

Many thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the tips. I am running all over cyber-space looking for decent places to meet Smartians. I am now a little better informed

·
Registered
Mercedes 200 (W115)
62 Posts
From the first day I tested the smart in early 99 I found out the gearbox is nothing but terrible. Back then smart said it was ok but in the end they changed the software when the so called second release came out. It also came with an edited TRUST system wich basically is the electronic safety system trying to keep you on the road.
Sorry to say so, but there is nothing you can do about the gearchange except sell it and buy a BMW M3 SMG [;)]

About the engine I can tell you that it's best to drive it not too hard. It's only a miniature engine that has to move a not so miniature car so stressing it makes things worse. There are in fact cases of smart owner having to return their cars to the dealer after 150.000 km because of engine failure. I don't know how these stories ended (if the owners got a refund or a new engine) but it is a clear indication the little 3 cilinder is not the average Benz engine doing 350.000 km without trouble.

It's a city car and its best to use as intended. Drive normal, don't stress is and as soon as you get the idea the engine is making trouble, go to a smart centre and let them look at it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts