Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in September, my wife and I decided to celebrate my birthday, and the anniverary of theday we met (my birthday 2 years ago), as well as our last weekend away before the baby.

So naturally I convinced her to come to a car show with me.

Here are some pics from the German Autofest, held in Canberra (our nation's capital) on the shore of Lake Burley Griffin (a man made lake).

Not all the Mercedes in this are 107's, and not all the cars are Mercs, but hey, try and enjoy them any way...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and some more...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
and some more...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And even more...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and still even more...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and yet even more still...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and nearly done...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
almost there...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, still more...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and this must be the last lot...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, I think this is really the last batch...

Attachments

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
Great Photos Foto! I have some on my camera as well that I haven't yet posted. While I was busy with concours judging, I asked my kids to photograph every MB there plus whatever other cars they liked.

It is a great show every year. Even my wife enjoys it because there are a variety of marques, not just MB. She always manages to find a Porsche she likes. For me it was nice to see some rare MBs there. A 300SL is always a drawcard, whether a gullwing coupe or roadster, and that particular roadster is a very nice example. The 300CE-24 3.4 AMG is a genuine example and rare car and unique for Australia. Unusual also to see a 190E 2.3-16 in smoke silver rather than the more common blue-black. Not that any 16 valve 190E is common in Australia. Then there was the outright winner of the concours, the blue 190SL. A stunning example.

Two other rare cars and exceptionally so for Australia were Foto's and my 500SLC. They are believed to be the only two examples of the 500SLC in Australia, and this occasion was special being the first time the two had been displayed together in public. On just one occasion prior to this we had the two together briefly for a quick private photo opportunity. We hope at a future show to go one better than this, with Australia's third 107026, a 450SLC 5.0, also comming along to the show. This would mean every known 026 in Australia together in one place at the same time. The only difficulty is that Foto's and my car are based in Sydney, just over 3 hours north east of Canberra (the location of this show) whereas the 5.0 is based in Melbourne, some 6 or 7 hours south of Canberra.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I chose to display my 500SLC wearing it's "war paint". I mainly use it in classic (historic) road rallies so felt it appropriate to display it as I use it. Please don't be concerned that I may be modifying what is an original example of a rare car. Every single modification I have performed is a simple "bolt on, bolt off" job. I have not so much as drilled a single hole anywhere in the car. Inside there is a "Terratrip" rally computer which is fitted to a bracket which mounts from two existing screws inside the glove compartment lid. Externally, the headlights which are all H4 halogen semi-sealed beams (not US sealed beams) are simple replacements for the Euro headlights. The four halogen units were a less costly way for me to convert the headlights to left hand traffic in Australia than replacing the lenses and reflectors in the right hand traffic Euro headlights. The quad lights are also consistent with the "rally look" and something of a novelty in Australia where Euro lights are the norm. Obviously the Euro lights can be easily refitted. Even that lighting bar (with four new old stock from 1979 Cibie Super Oscar driving lights as used on many of the original factory rally cars) can be quickly fitted and removed. Under the bumper there are two brackets mounted using the existing bumper mounting bolts. Behind the grille, two stay bars to stabilise the driving lights mount using existing bolts. I am really enjoying the 500SLC in these classic rally events and it certainly attracts plenty of attention and positive comments.

For any German car fans in the south eastern states of Australia, this annual show is one worth visiting. Thanks for posting the great photos!

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
If I send you a baseball bat, would you send me back the kneecaps of whoever did this:
DSC_0490.jpg

I can include postage, if that's an issue.

·
Always Remembered RIP
'78 450SL
199 Posts
foto and greg, can you guys tell me who makes the front spoiler addon that you both have mounted on your beautiful cars, and where are the available. I've seen them before, but cannot find out who the manufacturer is, and where to buy one. TIA.

p.s. Great photo shoot, looks like a really neat car show. There's one in Naples, FL, that I plan on attending this winter, as well as a host of other minor shows throughout the season, that I'll try to get some pics of, and post, as they happen. You guys set a great example to the rest of us, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Was that a lowering job :eek: or is it just the pneumatic suspension? If the former, I agree with the other Scott about the baseball bat. I'll even chip in for postage, handling, and bail money.

Scott

1 - 20 of 31 Posts