Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, I just picked up a 97 C36 and after owning it now for a couple weeks, I have some questions whose answers I couldn't find in the owner's manul. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1. ASR light suddenly came on and stays lit, even though I didn’t touch the button. Can’t turn it off with the button either. Any ideas?
2. Can the W/S button be pushed while driving the car?
3. What would be the cause for the cruise control working erratically? I push the stock either up or down to set the speed, but it won’t work. However, if I hold up the stock for a couple seconds, the vehicle will accelerate for just a second, but then cancel. I think this is more than a simple fuse issue. Any ideas?
4. Does the car come with factory spring pads on the stock suspension? If so, what size are they?
5. Are Bilstein or other aftermarket performance shocks actually strut inserts for the front or rear? Or whole replacements altogether? (for my M3 they are strut inserts, which are a pain in the ass to replace)
6. Other than for the factory jack points (holes on side of car) using the supplied jack, what are some other appropriate jack points for using a conventional hydraulic jack? Anything on the sides? Cross member bar? Rear diff or subframe? Etc.
7. Where the hell is the oil filter located? Lol (my M3’s located at the top in front of the engine – easy replacement!)
8. What type of oil do you guys use/recommend? Mobil 1’s 0W-40 synthetic designed specifically for MB application (Mercedes MB 229.5)?
9. What kind of sparkplugs do you guys use/recommend? I’ve read that some of you use platinums? Owner’s manual says any of the following:
o Bosch F 8 DCO
o Beru 14 F-8 DUO
o Champion C 10 YCC
o Gap – 0.032 in (0.8 mm) – does this differ w/ different plugs?

·
Registered
1997 C230
38 Posts
Just thought I'd respond to the areas for which I am familiar with.

Concerning the W/S switch the manual I have states "Never change the program mode (W/S) when the selector lever is out of position P. It could result in a change of driving characteristics for which you may not be prepared." An interesting side note, although I tend to leave it in "S" (some people like to call this sport mode, other say standard) when you select "W" or Wet or Winter, the transmissions starts in 2nd gear providing less torque (which can cause the rear wheels to spin in wet weather if in "S" mode, and they do with this motor :D), also, when in "W" you get hill hold so the car won't roll backwards when you shift your foot from the brake to the accelerator.

RE:Oil Filter location- Look on the driver side of the motor close to the top for a round filter cap (mine is black plastic) which looks just like the top of a filter and is mounted at approx. a 40 degree angle. I tend to favor Mobil 1’s 0W-40 synthetic as I get close to 10,000 miles between changes with no problems after 100K miles :thumbsup:

Sorry I can't speak to your other questions, but I hate it when people offer advice that they can't back up without knowledge and/or experience.

Hope this helps~

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
Sup guys, I just picked up a 97 C36 and after owning it now for a couple weeks, I have some questions whose answers I couldn't find in the owner's manul. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1. ASR light suddenly came on and stays lit, even though I didn’t touch the button. Can’t turn it off with the button either. Any ideas?
2. Can the W/S button be pushed while driving the car?
3. What would be the cause for the cruise control working erratically? I push the stock either up or down to set the speed, but it won’t work. However, if I hold up the stock for a couple seconds, the vehicle will accelerate for just a second, but then cancel. I think this is more than a simple fuse issue. Any ideas?
4. Does the car come with factory spring pads on the stock suspension? If so, what size are they?
5. Are Bilstein or other aftermarket performance shocks actually strut inserts for the front or rear? Or whole replacements altogether? (for my M3 they are strut inserts, which are a pain in the ass to replace)
6. Other than for the factory jack points (holes on side of car) using the supplied jack, what are some other appropriate jack points for using a conventional hydraulic jack? Anything on the sides? Cross member bar? Rear diff or subframe? Etc.
7. Where the hell is the oil filter located? Lol (my M3’s located at the top in front of the engine – easy replacement!)
8. What type of oil do you guys use/recommend? Mobil 1’s 0W-40 synthetic designed specifically for MB application (Mercedes MB 229.5)?
9. What kind of sparkplugs do you guys use/recommend? I’ve read that some of you use platinums? Owner’s manual says any of the following:
o Bosch F 8 DCO
o Beru 14 F-8 DUO
o Champion C 10 YCC
o Gap – 0.032 in (0.8 mm) – does this differ w/ different plugs?
1) Not sure....relay/fuse?
2) Don't, if you want to keep your tranny in good shape
3) Vacuum leak. Good luck finding it
4) Yes; I'm not sure what size
5) Whole units
6) Frame/rear diff
7) Facing the back of the car looking into the engine bay: closest to you and to the right
8) 0w-40
9) I run with Bosch; gap size is the same regardless of plug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4) Yes; I'm not sure what size - Anybody else know about the stock spring pad size??
7) Facing the back of the car looking into the engine bay: closest to you and to the right - Can the oil filter cap be twisted off by hand? or special tool required?
9) I run with Bosch; gap size is the same regardless of plug - Platinums? or stock spec plugs?

·
Registered
692 Posts
The oil filter can be turned by hand, but odds are it's very difficult. You can get a oil filter adapter for a socket wrench to do it too (what I do).

I'm not sure what you mean about your platinum vs stock plugs question. Are you asking if there's gap difference or what plugs I use? I use platinum plugs; I keep the gap on those the same as the stock specs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what you mean about your platinum vs stock plugs question. Are you asking if there's gap difference or what plugs I use? I use platinum plugs; I keep the gap on those the same as the stock specs.
Did you have to gap them yourself, or do they come pre-gapped to factory spec? What's the model # of the platinum plugs you're using?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Did you have to gap them yourself, or do they come pre-gapped to factory spec? What's the model # of the platinum plugs you're using?
I believe almost all spark plugs are deemed "pre-gapped," but honestly, I've had to gap them myself everytime. I don't know the model #; just go to autohausaz.com and find them on there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts