Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved this note from an AMG official from Affalterbach. Some of you may already have known about this but I still think it is a nice thing to know. Here it is:
"The 210 E55 was the last vehicle that a major portion of production took place at AMG in Affalterbach. Production was actually split between Affalterbach and the Bremen Mercedes Benz facility until the end of 2001.

We hope this helps to clarify these comments.

AMG Private Lounge Team"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To the best of my knowledge, since 2002 only the engines are produced at the AMG plant and shipped to MB. The rest of the car is put together alongside the none AMG models at MB plant using robots. Also the engines are palced in the cars at MB plant.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yep, the cars used to be built at sindelfingen as special W210 shells (almost complete), and put on a car carrier to Affalterbach and then the cars were hand tuned. trim/interior suspension and engine was installed on an old ram hydraulic lift, not on an assembly line. Back in those days the new amg engine room didnt exist, that building was built in 2002. The cars used to be built entirely in a very non hi tech building across from what is now the customer center. Now that building is used as the performance studio, so If you want a special AMG then get performance studio options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts