Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so angry it is not even funny.

Should I write a note on my window asking the person to be a man and own up to it?

What are my options here as to fix. It looks like it was keyed. What do you guys think?
It was in my parking spot. I have no enemies or anything ???? I am so pissed off right now

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
sucks. no on the note. it may just cause more hassle.

you can try quixx on it. i've had some success with that product.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
5,008 Posts
I know how you feel man. Someone used to scratch and burn cigarettes to my signal red W201 few weeks ago, I was almost compounding the car 2 times a week to fix the scratches.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,512 Posts
Totally sucks. My condolences. Some envious mfer took his frustration out on your ride. He's probably driving a dropped Civic with fart pipe and his GF noticed your ride. You suffer.
Don't put a note on the car; the ahole will probably be showing his friends the damage and that will just pump them up.
Park somewhere else if you can or use a different car for awhile.
My cars are usually parked on the street and someone has been getting their jollies by giving the curb side a shot now and then. The dents are from a pointy object and not terribly deep but they are noticeable. The first one shows up and you wonder where you got it and how it happened. Then a second and a third and you know you're being targeted by some loser punk. It's probably best that I *don't* see the punk doing it or I'll be the one in jail for murder.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,904 Posts
When the ex had my car (she's a teacher), it was keyed a couple of times. Fortunately, the paint job on these cars is pretty thick. I suggest you take the car to a quality paint/bodywork shop and let them try to buff it out....or at least have then tell you how.

Mine still show, but mostly unnoticeable. Like Joe Dirt said "That shit will buff out."

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1999 SL500, 2009 E350S 4Matic, 1992 300CE (sold)
143 Posts
Someone keyed our Ford Taurus X! - 2 doors and rear fender. Helping matters is the car is a silver blue colour as it shows less. Black is the worst for blemishes, in fact owning black is frustrating as it always looks (compared to silver) that the car has been abused.

My smoke silver 300CE still looks great despite having 200kms of normal wear and tear. If it we're black I would fell bad about my level of car care.

If you can feel the scractch when wet, only repainting will fix it.

Scary what kind of mind would key a Taurus!

to get philosophical: Life leaves scars on everything.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any sort of product stronger than Ultimate compound?

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Eww.....that looks painful. I am so sorry about that. I know how you feel. A couple years ago, somebody did the same thing to my car.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna mask it off very, very carefully then fill it in with touch up paint.

I may as well....it can't look any worse than it currently does. It needs to be sanded and resprayed to do it right anyway.

I just hope it was a random hit and not because somebody who lives here has some sort of grudge or envy against me.

·
Registered
89 300CE, 62 220SEb
272 Posts
My mechanic called me this morning to report that the cat converter had been cut off my 89 coupe, as well as other cars in the area!

That doesn't have a darned thing to do with some jackwagon keying your car, I just had to vent a bit...

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
If it happened last night, maybe it was a Halloween fluke. Let's hope so.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
At least they didnt spell out any fun words on your hood.

·
Registered
09' C350 (Loaded)
8 Posts
I know your pain. On my C350, some jack$$$ slashed all four of my tires which had 5k miles on them... I wanted to hunt them down and cut something off of them. I hope you get that scratch fixed.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Had the green 95 keyed a few months ago..it was through to metal, I could not buff or touch it up...had to repaint 2 panels. :(

Times like that, I keep repeating Zorro's old comment. Just metal and paint. It's JUST metal and paint.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,918 Posts
If you can't park the car in a safer location, install an inexpensive surveillance camera to monitor the activities around your car. If you have another vehicle, install the video surveillance camera and recording equipments on that car pointing to the direction of the car you are monitoring.

The only way to stop it is to identify who's doing it. Please, use your phone to call the authorities when you identify the m'fer. Stay away from baseball bats, sharp objects or gun when you find the culprit.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,904 Posts
If you can't park the car in a safer location, install an inexpensive surveillance camera to monitor the activities around your car. If you have another vehicle, install the video surveillance camera and recording equipments on that car pointing to the direction of the car you are monitoring.

The only way to stop it is to identify who's doing it. Please, use your phone to call the authorities when you identify the m'fer. Stay away from baseball bats, sharp objects or gun when you find the culprit.
Inexpensive surveillance cameras are not going to work....unless you happen to recognize the neighborhood punk doing the damage. Their resolution, especially at night, will give the cops virtually nothing for evidence. And even if you have decent surveillance, if they're wearing a hoodie in the dark, you're still screwed.

The way the laws are written, you need a clear face shot, verifiable time/date and specific local to fit the crime.

This isn't practical if you have to park in the street, but in a driveway; rig up motion sensors that are connected to a silent alarm in your house...call 911. Just hope the cops can get there in time....

Kevin

·
Registered
113 Posts
My car has key scratches ALL over my car, and body shop said entire car needed to be painted for $5-10k as the S-class roof has no cut-off and therefore can't blend.

There's a SF place that another guy on mbworld suggested who could touch up and then wet sand, etc...to make it look as new for a fraction of the price. I'm not sure it will work for ALL of mine, but some of it may work...we'll see. Good luck to you.
Patrick

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
If it is at all predictable when they will come you can always wait for them.

I remember reading a UK article about a bunch of guys who waited in the back of a box truck for a thief to come steal a bike. With bats and tire irons and chains and all kinds of unpleasantries. No more stolen bikes after that!

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
my mother's '85 190E was keyed all the way around when it was 2 years old.
it was repainted top to bottom, and then keyed again within 6 months.
people can be real assholes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts